440/460 hybrid finished

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job!

Runs good!! Sounds Great!! ;) lol

How did you make clearance for the 460 jug? Turn the flywheel? Grind side of jug?

I thought about turning my 440 into a Hybrid, but after hearing what is needed to do (5 mm to 6 mm, flywheel/cylinder interference, etc)? I've decided against it. Now I have this 460 top end.. And no saw to put it on.

Nice job!

How did you make clearance for the 460 jug? Turn the flywheel? Grind side of jug?

I thought about turning my 440 into a Hybrid, but after hearing what is needed to do (5 mm to 6 mm, flywheel/cylinder interference, etc)? I've decided against it. Now I have this 460 top end.. And no saw to put it on.

You send it to me or Sebastian(AKA Bieber) - We'll find a home for it on one of our 044's/440's... ;)

Nice job!

Dex, I have made a big fuss about the difficulty of this job BUT it's really only a matter of time. It's not difficult if you go at it slow and FIT things together. File 'n fit, file 'n fit. First, with no piston in your engine, file a 60 degree bevel on the sides of the cylinder base till it fits the case, no base gasket. Then you can use a chain file or a coarser round file to move the mounting holes in to match the case. I used the OEM 044 base gasket, you don't need the 046 gasket.
When you get it together you have to get 2 spacers for the 2 bottom muffler mounts, nuts work.
Then RUN it!

I used a 46 base just so I didn't have to mess with it. As old-cat stated a 44 works just fine.

DEX, this is what I had to do on the outside of the cyl. :

IMG_7365.JPG

Dremel away that marked area to make the base narrower. Not much more than taking away the MAHLE Logo was needed in my case.

IMG_7363.JPG

Same thing on the other side... additionally grind the upper marked area to fit the flywheel. No grinding etc at the flywheel needed! How much you have to take away here deends on how much the jug is dropped e.g. with/-out base gasket etc

IMG_7367.JPG

This is just a rough way of showing how much the holes have to be filed inwards. use your 440 base gasket to mark and see how much you need to do.
5mm bolts work well so no modifications needed and your chainsaw file (5,2mm) works just perfect for that task!

As others have said all you need to have is just time, patience and a steady hand :)

Nice job!

Not really a lot of work at all.
Not sure what the 5mm-6mm is in reference to.
I didn't touch the flywheel.
Just clearanced the jug.

Nice pics. Very clear on specifics. My 446 is one of my favorites.

Not really a lot of work at all.
Not sure what the 5mm-6mm is in reference to.
I didn't touch the flywheel.
Just clearanced the jug.

The 5 mm cyl bolts, up to 6 mm (460) cylinder bolts.

Dex, I can assure you the small amount of work is well worth the reward.

Is all the work worth it when you have a ported 460 already?

1416180113915.jpg

Nice pics. Very clear on specifics. My 446 is one of my favorites.

You just made me think about that because you said "my446": has anybody ever made a custom Stihl model plate that says STIHL MS440/460 hybrid on it or anything like that?
That would be so cool to do a few of them with silkscreen-printing...:bowdown:

Latest posts

Back