Sthil 440 Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBrian

Reaction score
Serial number 1605-655D. It's a Sthil 440. I need to rebuild at least the top end. My son ran without mixed oil. Any suggestions on parts, year of saw any advice or info at all. Thx

I suggest tearing it down to get a real count of damage to figure out what you actually need, I highly suggest using oem piston/cylinder kits, fuel/impulse hoses and filters. Gaskets, seals and bearings from taiwan seem to be good enough in most cases.

The serial number being that it is after the 10 mm piston pin changeover to the 12 mm ones puts it in the MS440 years, serial indicates around 1985 but only a dealer can look it up for certain as long as it was registered by the dealer. Take the cylinder cover off and turn it over, inside the cover there should be a circle with info molded in, should indicate the year made there. The 440 uses the same piston and cylinder through out the years even though it may be made by different manufacturers, some are made by Mahle and others may just have the Stihl logo on them but all will fit and work. They have been my most favorite chainsaw since the late 1980`s, been running mine these last 3 days in big hardwood.

I suggest tearing it down to get a real count of damage to figure out what you actually need, I highly suggest using oem piston/cylinder kits, fuel/impulse hoses and filters. Gaskets, seals and bearings from taiwan seem to be good enough in most cases.
I agree with cookie here, Stihl OEM parts from a dealer will guarantee seamless fit and reliability in the long run. An aftermarket top end or Chinese carburetor may be okay, but if you heavily rely on this saw for working, Stihl original is your best bet for longevity.

edit: grammar

Back