44mm aftermarket 5000 plus and 490 pistons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have my attention. I have about 6 5K+ sitting on a table.

Doesn't an 028 piston work with a little filing on the wrist pin bosses? PnP would be much better if the quality is decent.

I asked who made them.... waiting for a response

Kevin said he doesn't know...

I was going to order one but the only shipping option was USPS 1st Class for 24.99...nope, I'm not kidding. Maybe Scott's been training at Bailey's.

That's why it pays to wait until you need $100 worth of stuff- free shipping.

If OEM I run them. If aftermarket I wont.

I also seen JJ state just the other day to stay away from aftermarket ones and why. Heck for all I know, JJ might have meant oem too for his uses. I'll try and dig up the post.

I've used clips with ears and no problems. I've used clips without ears and no problems.... they were just commenting that "They" won't use them because they have experienced problems. I have started clipping the ears... no problems.

Don't use those "double ear" wrist pin clips...

The part that sticks out on the ear catches a lot of heat during operation and over time, that weakens the whole clip. They come apart eventually.

In the majority of my saws with 12 and 13mm wrist pins, I use a non-eared clip on the PTO side (this side takes a lot more heat) and a Husqvarna OEM single-ear clip on the flywheel side.
This makes removing the piston much easier in the future.

I keep a supply of Stihl and Husqvarna OEM clips on hand for 12 and 13mm applications. I get them from the dealer. They average $0.95 to $1.40 each. Cheap insurance for keeping a saw running.

For those pistons (aftermarket or otherwise) that the Stihl or Husky clips don't fit in or work in, I get the measurements and then do the research to find the appropriate clips.

The reason I ask is gonna sound dumb but here goes. I put one of my 5000s back together after reading one of these threads . So I went right out and bought Stihl clips they were just a" ring" no ears.
Well I got the clips on and noticed that I had the arrow on the piston facing the carb. So I had to take the clips or at least 1 clip out so I could turn the piston around. I have never in my 50 years had such a time as I did trying to get that ring clip with no ears up and out of the grove. When I finally got it off I turned the piston and put back the Stihl clip......... But I said never again unless someone can tell me an easier way to get the clip out if needed.
I have heard on some pistons there is a small divot on the edge of the clip grove to get a pick under to assist in clip removal. The piston I was using was not so equipped. If you have run into this let me know how you got the clip back out? You would stone me if I told you how I did it ha ha Jeff

Latest posts

Back