562 xp issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Smith

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
OK new to this site and I have been searching the net for possible answers.

full story. bought a new 2017 model 562 xp from the dealer last year. been running a Joensered 2255 for about 3 months (it was about 6 months old when I got it and used very little). I cut firewood and clean up for people.

saw was great and ran like a top for the first 6 months. brought it out this year and did some cleanup work for my dad and it seemed to not have much power. Put on a new chain and it seemed a little better. ran it a couple times after that and it finally quit running all together. off to the shop for work and was informed it was blown up (no compression ) they said I ran bad gas through the saw causing the problem. they still replaced the piston and cylinder and back to running. I put a sharp chain on and back to cutting. ran fine the first couple times out for short runs (less than a tank of gas each run) but took it out the next time and it starting to loose power again. now it seems to happen about 10-20 mins into running the saw. cold start and warm up then for the first bit it runs fine. I put a new chain on it and will get a chance to run it next week but really loosing confidence in it. I keep fresh gas for the saw and run good oil mix ( have a lot of Stihl on hand so been using it) so I dont know what I could be doing wrong ( or if its me) side note the Jonesered has been ran just a much as the husky and is still running like a top. it was my buckup saw and I have been relying on it more than the husky.

Any thoughts ????

You would think. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that most dealers and shops have no clue what they’re doing. Makes me crazy. Send your service place candy and flowers if they’re actually doing good work. Seriously.

It’s probably NOT the cylinder/piston. They replaced that and it’s still doing it. What EXACTLY did they replace? Bearings, seals and gaskets with the cylinder swap?

I’m also inclined to say air leak somewhere, most likely aft of the cylinder. From what I understand of my autotunes, they’ll actually run rich with a leak because they’re overcompensating. Dump fuel in to prevent a lean condition. Sounds like what you’re dealing with?

In absence of a proper leak tester, get some carb cleaner spray, and start the saw. Use the straw to shoot it anywhere there’s a seal. Crank shaft (chain and starter side), and all around the carb and fuel lines. When you have a leak, it’ll pull the carb cleaner in, stop combustion, and the saw will shut off.

You can also use a spare purge valve to create a poor man’s pressure tester, but there’s no gauge. You’ll have to watch for the bulb refilling if pulling suction, and listen to air hiss if applying pressure.

Latest posts

Back