Acorn drop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzgator

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

In Tampa, Fl. we had a ridiculous, heavy and somewhat early acorn drop last year and it has extended into this season. I compared it to rainfall, tree health etc. and can't find a solid correlation. Not so sure its acorn mast.
Any feedback is appreciated.

Interesting...we've had HUGE acorn production here in Ohio as well. Rain, lack of frost at flowering (probably not a big factor in Tampa), other weather patterns throughout the growing season all influence...as well as what happened last year.

Interesting...we've had HUGE acorn production here in Ohio as well. Rain, lack of frost at flowering (probably not a big factor in Tampa), other weather patterns throughout the growing season all influence...as well as what happened last year.
Huge crop of acorns this yr out in northern Calif., ledgend has it that it means a lot of snow and rain this yr! My house has a large white oak that cover over half of the roof, they were hitting the roof like rain drops for about a month, now the rain has started in earnest, thank god! The firefighters on the Camp fire over in Paradise get to go home for Thanksgiving, hallelujah!:cool:

Would be curious if this is a Nation-wide phenomenon. And if so, how often does that happen? I can't recall a time in the last 20 years (how long I have been paying attention...) that we've had this many.

I don't know how many "official" surveys there are. In Ohio the Division of Wildlife has a few fixed location plots that they survey every year. There have been years when my local observations are opposite of what they are finding. Not doubting their findings, just saying there are local variations. That doesn't seem to be the case this year. I haven't talked to anybody in Ohio that hasn't seen large mast crops...

Would like to hear others from round the Country check in: are the oaks heavy or light this year?

Would be curious if this is a Nation-wide phenomenon. And if so, how often does that happen? I can't recall a time in the last 20 years (how long I have been paying attention...) that we've had this many.

I don't know how many "official" surveys there are. In Ohio the Division of Wildlife has a few fixed location plots that they survey every year. There have been years when my local observations are opposite of what they are finding. Not doubting their findings, just saying there are local variations. That doesn't seem to be the case this year. I haven't talked to anybody in Ohio that hasn't seen large mast crops...

Would like to hear others from round the Country check in: are the oaks heavy or light this year?
Northern IL, heavy this year.

Latest posts

Back