Advice on Purchasing a New Chain Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 2.5 acres with quite a few trees and a fencerow that has grown up with privet and other crap that is taking over the yard.
I am able to keep a handle on most of it with my pruning shears, but there is some that needs a chain saw.
I don't have one and I really can't afford to pay what a professional would charge.
What I want to cut is no more than about 4" to 6" in diameter. I won't be taking down large trees or limbs.

I'm a medium sized female, in good shape, but not an Amazon-type.
What kind of chain saw would you recommend for me - something fairly light-weight and very easy to start up.
I used one about 20 years ago to cut up a tree that fell in my yard, but I no longer have it and don't remember what it was.

Thank you for your help!

Find yourself a nice used Stihl ms170 or a husqvarna 142. Both are light weight and designed for the home owner clean up jobs you described. Neither of these will break the bank.

Agree with post #2...at the most, could step to a Stihl MS-211, and still keep overall weight minimal...be plenty to suit your needs and last a lifetime for you running E-free fuel, if available, quality 50:1 synthetic mix, and a sharp chain.

The 142 saw looks good in the EBay ad...If I were buying it, I'd offer $130 plus his $19.00 shipping if you wanted it that bad. Wouldn't go much more if any at all. It is a used saw. If he takes it, you've got a very decent little saw for $150 investment. I noticed his pics show two different chain pitches...one 3/8, the other .325, as best as I can tell. Make absolutely sure and contact seller to make sure he's matching chain pitch with sprocket pitch.

The 3/8 chain won't work on the .325 sprocket and the .325 chain won't work on the 3/8 sprocket. The chain that is labeled 3/8 lp would work correctly on the bar pictured. The chain in the blue box would not work on the bar pictured.

I don't know what that means... I don't think I've ever tweaked on small 2cycles.
lol
...how to adjust carb settings (lo/high/idle screws) to get the saw in the best tune. As well as proper chain tension, etc, etc.

Are you comfortable tweaking on small 2 cycles? If you have a Stihl dealer nearby, they had/have the MS170 for $159.
Checked with my two local Stihl dealers...new MS-170 is $159.95. I can get an additional $10 off that at either dealer.

@TNTreeHugger...I would definitely opt for the new MS-170 for your cutting and light task needs. If you purchase a six-pak of Stihl Ultra synthetic pre-mix at the time of saw purchase, they will double your warranty to 2-yrs, homeowner use. I think this would be the best route for you. If anything happens with the saw, barring no fault of your own, let the dealer handle the warranty service work. The dealer will register the new saw for you for warranty purposes, nothing on your end to do...but just show up and buy it. Might can even talk them into an extra new chain, who knows. But don't forget the pre-mix to extend the warranty an additional year.

There are a lot of great little saws. What is your budget?
I will list a few I would be willing to buy my wife.
Echo 310, or 400
Dolmar ps 35, 350, or 421
Stihl ms 170, 180, 211, rear handle 193
Other options are battery operated ones. No mix, no tuning just charge and pull the trigger.

"Other options are battery operated ones. No mix, no tuning just charge and pull the trigger."
Ooh, I like that idea!
The only thing I know how to do with a chain saw is pull the rope, aim, and cut.

I also like the idea of USMC615, about buying a new one and getting the extra warranty.
Would Lowes be a good place to buy a chain saw?

"Other options are battery operated ones. No mix, no tuning just charge and pull the trigger."
Ooh, I like that idea!
The only thing I know how to do with a chain saw is pull the rope, aim, and cut.

I also like the idea of USMC615, about buying a new one and getting the extra warranty.
Box stores are not the greatest idea...How close is a Stihl dealer or Husqvarna dealer to you?

Man I tell ya I just bought a seized up ms180 awhile back, and bought a whole engine assembly for like $48.... I have already ran about 2 tanks of gas threw it with this new motor, and I tell ya the little saw is REALLY growing on me.... I thought for sure I was goin to give it away or sell it, but I think I will keep it for sure now....I have put the 14" B&C in some 10-12" ash logs, and while she don't scream threw the cuts, she does make it threw with a good sharp chain....

So I would recommend one to a homeowner any day..... Plus it has the easy chain adjuster that doesn't require a screntch.... Just keep chain sharp and she will treat you right!!!!!

Just did a google search and there is a dealer, for both brands, 10 miles from me... same place I bought my mower.

In an under-$200 range, what is the lightest, easiest to start, and least maintenance saw? Ease of starting the #1 priority. ;-)

Here is the reply from the eBay seller:

They are both the same specs for Husqvarna. One is a Husqvarna chain the other is an off brand chain that works with Husqvarna and is the proper size for this chainsaw. We included the second chain just as an extra but if you don't want it I can send you just the Husqvarna 16" chain. Both are brand new and both fit this size bar for Husqvarna. Thank you and hope this helped.

What do you think?
I think we've decided a new one would be the best bet.

In a word NO. A good Stihl dealer is worth the drive assuming you aren't totally out in the boonies. Atwoods, Tractor Supply, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. are NOT a good place for someone who doesn't really know what they are buying. That is a great way to go home with the WRONG saw which will be the most expensive saw you will ever buy.

You want a dealer (or salesman) that actually uses chainsaws and has some training. Anyone can sell you a chainsaw but, only a few WILL sell you the right saw for your skill level and needs.

The most expensive saw you will ever buy is the wrong one: wrong being too big or too small, or too hard to start or keep running, or one that can't be serviced easily when you can't do it yourself.

The little Stihl MS170 which is on sale right now is a good place to start. Personally, I would suggest something with a little more oomph behind it but, that little saw is small, light and, easy to handle.

The little Husqvarna's are good saws too but, dealer support for someone like yourself is going to more problematic. Forget after sale support from the big retailers like Lowes/Home Depot and Atwoods/TSC/etc. You want a store that actually sells saws with employees/owners that use them.

Latest posts

Back