Advice: what chainsaw is (really) dependable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infoquest500

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for a chainsaw that is actually dependable. I've been using a husqvarna 236 (X torq) on (mostly) big deciduous trees, which has always been rather erratic in performance, and now might run for 15 minutes or so, and then will not restart until much much later (if at all). Unworkable. I'm kind of tired trying to repair it.

So, I've been looking for a replacement. However, even among those in the (semi-)professional price range, I read a lot of negative reviews complaining about performances similar to what I am experiencing now. An professional arborist recommended a stihl 036 chainsaw, but it is no longer in production and not easy to find second hand where I am at. (Why do companies stop making models which people are actually happy about?).

What chainsaw would you recommend in a price-range of up to, say, $600-$1000? I would really appreciate suggestions from those who use them professionally on a daily basis.

Thanks

So you are using a homeowner grade 36cc saw on "big wood". Guess the question is, how big will you be cutting? How often do you cut? Do you do any service to your own saw, or is there a good dealer locally? Have you ever ran a larger saw?
This is where I would typically say go buy a 562xp husqy or a ms 362 stihl (or whatever version they are up to) and be happy, both are top performers in their class, and neither should give much if any issues at this point. I've had the 562xp for years, and would buy another tomorrow without hesitation. The new models have a better air filter set up as well. It pulls a 20 and 24" bar with authority through hardwood. Beside my bigger saws, it's the one I grab everytime to go out in the woods.

I think any of the big brands are reliable (Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo). Fuel quality and time sitting with old fuel ruins any saws reliability.

I like Stihl, so a ms362 would be my recommendation.

Use non ethanol fuel and drain/run out the tank if not using for more than a couple months will greatly help reliability.

Thanks for the replies, folks!

sean donato "So you are using a homeowner grade 36cc saw on "big wood"."
- I know... the thing is, I need the chainsaw for limbing, too, so I figured I'd use one that is lighter. This one is too light for the bigger stuff, plus, according to this thread here: https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/husqvarna-235-236-and-240-carburetor-problems.312348/, a troublesome model.

"Guess the question is, how big will you be cutting? How often do you cut? Do you do any service to your own saw, or is there a good dealer locally? Have you ever ran a larger saw?"
- I cut a couple of weeks a year, depending how much maintenance needs to be done in my forest (keeping paths open) and how many big trees (diameter some 80cm=31.5") happened to have fallen down that I can use for firewood. (Those can be oak, poplars, acacias, etc ...).

There are Husqvarna and Stihl dealers relatively nearby...not sure if they are good, since I do my own repairs and service. The 236 is the largest chainsaw I have ran.

buy a 562xp husqy or a ms 362 stihl
- Thanks for the suggestions! I've looked them up. Man, there are huge price differences between the US and Europe..! On the Husqvarna US website the price for a Husqvarna 562xp is $749.99 = €612.00. However on the Husqvarna site here in Europe, it costs €999, which is $1224.24! (As far as I know, it is still a European (Swedish) company, so, I'm not sure how that works..). I'm going to look further into this model!

The Stihl 362 is one that I had looked at earlier. On the Stihl US website, I found the option to buy a "bare" 362, but on the Europe Stihl website I found only the 362 C-M versions (for €1 015 = some $1243. The US website did not give prices for this model). I have read reviews where people did not recommend buying the version with M-Tronic system.

If you want a very reliable saw, look for a nice older 268,272 xp husqvarna or a 044, 046. Very simple those saws were and parts are still available
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to look into them. (I hope they are still on sale!).

This is always an option ... no engine... prefer a swedsaw myself.

Reliability, typically depends on maintenance and upkeep.
84ffa7ae8c964bf985b870636034dece.jpg

The 236 /240 was one of Husqvarna's weaker efforts. The Husky 350 is light and responsive and cheap used. The 372 is a beast and the early ones were ultra reliable I don't have much experience with the 4 series or 5 series, but my 266, 262's 350's 55's and 51's have been very reliable and trouble free......I got the 266 in 82 and only changed bar and chain and put one plug in it in close to 40 years of almost exclusive use. Any of these will put a smile on your face after what you've been used to.

I think that your 236 has a vac leak did you vac/pressure test it?, might be worth a tear down to toss aftermarket seals/gaskets/lines/bearings on it then retry running it before spending 1k
like any tool you get what you pay for, look at what you are offered locally then read users input. This way you at least get support from the saw shop if you have problems.

Welcome to A.S.!

The 'professional grade' saws (STIHL, Husqvarna, ECHO, Dolmar all have different categories of saw) usually hold up better, are easier to service, and have more parts available down the road.

For an 'all around' saw, I would recommend a 50cc saw with a 16" or 18"; light enough for limbing, and powerful enough for some bigger wood, but not too heavy. Look for the models that are the most popular - there is a reason why. I would avoid used saws unless you are skilled or confident in diagnosing and repairing them; sometimes parts are harder to find. In the price range you describe you can get a new saw, without someone else's problems, and with a warranty; take good care of it and it will likely be very reliable for you.

Also avoid any brand new models, where the kinks have not yet been revealed or resolved.

Philbert

Hello,

I'm looking for a chainsaw that is actually dependable. I've been using a husqvarna 236 (X torq) on (mostly) big deciduous trees, which has always been rather erratic in performance, and now might run for 15 minutes or so, and then will not restart until much much later (if at all). Unworkable. I'm kind of tired trying to repair it.

So, I've been looking for a replacement. However, even among those in the (semi-)professional price range, I read a lot of negative reviews complaining about performances similar to what I am experiencing now. An professional arborist recommended a stihl 036 chainsaw, but it is no longer in production and not easy to find second hand where I am at. (Why do companies stop making models which people are actually happy about?).

What chainsaw would you recommend in a price-range of up to, say, $600-$1000? I would really appreciate suggestions from those who use them professionally on a daily basis.

Thanks
I think given the tree sizes you're dealing with (31.5") you might actually be a good candidate for the pro-level Stihl MS400 which is a light weight 67cc saw with a 51cm or 64cm light bar.

If this is outside your price point then I would probably look to the four kings of professional 50cc saws (in no particular order):

1) Echo CS-501P/CS-501-SX
2) Stihl MS261 (recommend 18"/46cm bar with narrow kerf chain)
3) Husqvarna 550xp Mark 2 (recommend 20"/51cm bar with narrow kerf chain)
4) Dolmar PS5105C

It's hard to get to specific with recommendations as you didn't specify where you're from. "Europe" is not a country haha.

I've never been a big fan of 60cc saws. They possess neither the lightweight and agility of the 50cc saws (which are nice to work with for extended periods) or the power of the 70cc class which makes up for the weight.

Makita 6100/6400 IMO or even 7900 if you want the grunt to run a 32” bar

Back