Air cleaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCPT

Love my saws
Reaction score
I have been wanting to put a couple air cleaners in my house to....clean the air. With no central fan running, I figured it would be nice to move some air throughout the house when heating the house with woodstove in the basement. I have a Rikon air cleaner in my woodshop that works great but is designed for only 400sq ft and cost me around $200. I wasn't excited about dropping hundreds of dollars on air cleaners for the whole house but it needed to be done for wife/kids health and just to get some air moving in general.

I was narrowing down my choices and stumbled upon some YouTube videos of some DIY air cleaners. Basically a box fan with a quality filter behind the fan and an enclosure to fit everything in. I made two since I had the wood in my shop. The fans were $18 and filters can be had for fairly cheap when bought in bulk. I bought the "best" filters that also claim to remove smoke and odors for the times when smoke comes out the door of the stove.

I keep one in the basement and move the other one around upstairs. Afternoon sun was beaming through the window today and you could just watch the dust being pulled through. They work great and move equal/more air than ones that cost over $300 for equivalent cfm......and I was going to buy two!

I did this mainly for the wife and kids but thought I would share for others who think about air quality during stuffy winter months. Thanks.
20181128_064221.jpg 20181128_064230.jpg

@NCPT Looks like you have to take it apart to change the filter. More details would be nice. Great idea.
The two pieces on top are 5"×2" and are held in with 1.25" screws that are removed and replaced with a screwdriver.....I also added them so I could carry the whole assembly with the handle of the fan. Guys on YouTube were adding a slot so the filter could be slipped in and out, some even added multiple filters for more filtration.

I wonder how many times a day all the air in the house is totally replaced when using a wood burner. I am not sure if a air filer is necessary. lots of fresh air getting sucked in and vented out the chymney

I was thinking that the box just lifts straight up and off the fan.No?
The two small blocks against the top of the fan are what's holding everything in.
I wonder how many times a day all the air in the house is totally replaced when using a wood burner. I am not sure if a air filer is necessary. lots of fresh air getting sucked in and vented out the chymney
The fan/filters aren't necessary, I just wanted something to move some air throughout the house since the central fan is off during winter months. When wood burning is over, I'll use these in my woodshop for dust filtration.

Here's what we do when the stove fires up. I found a single filter created too much restriction for the fan. It doesn't move enough air to be effective.

I also found a thermostat that allows the use of just the furnace fan and runs it on a random schedule. That's been the biggest improvement to indoor air quality during the winter.
4c3738d1d0d24ed1113e044e438f1b2a.jpg
9b5d9ca165f5f2a21592d48658e81c11.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Oh... you should see those filters at the end of the burning season. We will never not have some type of air filtration in the house when the windows are closed for the season.

Oh... you should see those filters at the end of the burning season. We will never not have some type of air filtration in the house when the windows are closed for the season.

Exactly! Nice design too, I may come up with something different for next year because running these fans on high is noisey.

I've toyed with making something more aesthetically pleasing. But this works.

I'm wondering if having the filter directly against the back of the fan restricts flow because you really can't feel it unless it's at least on the medium setting. I'm also thinking of switching to a less restricting filter and just changing it more often.

I'm wondering if having the filter directly against the back of the fan restricts flow because you really can't feel it unless it's at least on the medium setting. I'm also thinking of switching to a less restricting filter and just changing it more often.

IMO, its because box fans aren't really designed to pull air through something. They have weak motors and shallow pitch on the fan blade. Add resistance such as a filter and flow gets reduced dramatically. Thats why I went to 2 20x26 filters. It did make a noticeable difference.

We in the furnace business tell people to not buy those expensive filters because they filter really good and get plugged quick. Then you have to change them a lot or they do not move air. Buy the cheaper pleated filters they work best.

So does it help? Is it noticeably cleaner air in the house, less dust? I run my furnace when I'm not running my wood furnace and I know the air cleaner on my furnace gets a lot dirtier in the winter from burning wood then it does in the summer from running ac. I don't use ac that much though.

Yes it helps. Dust in the filter is dust not settling on anything or being inhaled.

Folks with allergies or compromised respiratory systems will always benefit from clean(er) air.

I guess I have always been the type to think the stuff I breath in or the dirt on my hands makes my immune system stronger. It's amazing what's in the air you breath. That's a good cheap way to help with allergies.

So does it help? Is it noticeably cleaner air in the house, less dust? I run my furnace when I'm not running my wood furnace and I know the air cleaner on my furnace gets a lot dirtier in the winter from burning wood then it does in the summer from running ac. I don't use ac that much though.

Well my wife said she could notice a difference, especially downstairs since I leave that one running pretty much all the time. I probably will switch to less restrictive filters for better air flow too.

I guess I have always been the type to think the stuff I breath in or the dirt on my hands makes my immune system stronger. It's amazing what's in the air you breath. That's a good cheap way to help with allergies.
To a point. Some peoples allergies and immune systems can get overwhelmed.

And the fine ash that floats around the air in a closed house is not good for anyone. That's not an immunity builder.

To a point. Some peoples allergies and immune systems can get overwhelmed.

And the fine ash that floats around the air in a closed house is not good for anyone. That's not an immunity builder.

If it helps with the allergies then it's a cheap and easy filter system.

I wish I could have a wood stove in my house but I'm glad I dont have the mess of one in the living areas. The basement gets dirty real quick from the ash,wood, and dust.

Back