antifreeze?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

041fboss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im going to put antifreeze in my heatmor for this coming winter. Do i have to use r.v antifreeze or the regular green stuff? And why? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ryno

Not an expert but I've read ethylene glycol (green stuff) is not to be used. Most people who look into antifreeze are shocked at the cost to treat several hundred gallons and try another approach.

Not an expert but I've read ethylene glycol (green stuff) is not to be used. Most people who look into antifreeze are shocked at the cost to treat several hundred gallons and try another approach.

Amen to THAT. Suddenly antifreeze to treat my 385 gallons isn't even remotely an option. *shudder*

Antifreeze is usually mixed at a 50/50 level this can be cost prohibitive. Automotive antifreeze can be hazardous to use if a leak developes. RV antifreeze that is non-toxic may not hold up under high temps.

A possible alternative would be to install a small electric water heater with a circulating pump to maintain non freezing water temp when boiler is shut down.

I put anti freeze in mine a couple of years ago. Did a lot of research and came up with buying 55 gallon drums of hydronic heating fluid. It is very concentrated and is mixed about 30% fluid and 70% water. My unit was about 450 gallon with the plumbing and several heat exchangers. The fluid cost was about $1900. Works just fine though, now I can leave anytime and not worry about the stove. It does require a different test kit for the water though.

There used to be a product called GreenTemp that is non-toxic, it's made from beet juice. I used it in a Heatmor a while back. After a few door hose failures I think most of it is gone now. The stuff is kind of nasty smelling and sticky but hasn't seemed to hurt the pump. I went with a 50/50 mixture. I was about $8 a gallon at the time, not cheap.

http://dev2.greenriteinnovations.com/greentemp-ht

I put anti freeze in mine a couple of years ago. Did a lot of research and came up with buying 55 gallon drums of hydronic heating fluid. It is very concentrated and is mixed about 30% fluid and 70% water. My unit was about 450 gallon with the plumbing and several heat exchangers. The fluid cost was about $1900. Works just fine though, now I can leave anytime and not worry about the stove. It does require a different test kit for the water though.

:jawdrop:

I could hire a kid in the neighborhood to stoke the boiler all winter for the next ten years for $1900.

:cheers:

:jawdrop:

I could hire a kid in the neighborhood to stoke the boiler all winter for the next ten years for $1900.

:cheers:

Not in my neighborhood. And one of the last things I want to do is put the fate of my $8000+ boiler in the hands of a "kid". Sorry I was taught to take care of myself and my possesions and the best way was to spend the dough on anti-freeze and have NO WORRIES.

Last edited:
antifreeze

From some experience with running a wood boiler I would just use water with some boiler water treatment to control corrosion and scale. Like another member said, if you are gone and let the fire burn out your system will pick up heat from your existing gas or electric furnace and your keep your pump running. You will be surprised at what the thermal mass of the water in your system and the wood boiler insulation will do for you. Also, with antifreeze you still need to periodically drain and flush your system ( just like a vehicle) and the dollars will add up. Is it a no brainer. Just use good softened water with a nitrate treatment for scale and corrosion.

Of all the boilers we have built, used and installed over the years I have yet to put anti freeze in one of them, everyone including myself have always figured that we have more wood than money, just figure a way to always keep wood in your unit, for the cost of the antifreeze you could pay a responsible person to fill it for you while you are on vacation, or fill his while he is gone and he returns the favor when you are gone. The other problem with antifreeze is if you have a leak your money is gone. Just my opinion.

From my understanding antifreeze is only really worth it in a secondary home. Aka a vacation home that you will leave for a few weeks at a time.

Also, I believe I read that antifreeze is very inefficient in heat exchangers, compared to plain water. OWB's are already inherently inefficient so we should be doing everything we can to make them MORE efficient, not less.

Saw some of the replies. The hydronic fluid that I purchased should last for many years. There are actually more anti corrosion inhibitors by far in the formulation than water with nitrates added. I saw NO difference in heat transfer with the heat exchangers after I put in the fluid. Remeber, this is a hydronic heating fluid anti freeze, not rv anti freeze. It is designed for this application and is a commercial quality product.

Just started to look into a OWB and a local guy told me to go to any auto wrecker and buy anti freeze that they remove from the wrecks. Less than 1/4 the price and still works. Just a thought,

Back