Any bored inventors looking for a project?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Autotune is overly complex, expensive and often introduces faults that many dealers can't fix, let alone the average home mechanic. It also has limits to what it can compensate for and top ends are still being destroyed from overheating conditions. My thinking is, there is and probably always will be conditions that cause a saw to overheat so if overheating is going to happen, lets just shut the engine off before damage occurs.

Was just adding to the list of thing one could invent whilst bored.

But in reality- if it aint broke- dont fix it.
Saws are not designed to overheat- they are designed to be air cooled and if you take out the muppet factor- generally it works.
If you want to add a sensor- add it to the operator, let them be aware of basic cleaning and maintenance, recognise when a chain might be dull, give a piston and ring time to realise it is in a friction situation with the cylinder after cold starting- before revving the snot out of it and 90% of the overheating situations become null and void.

Was just adding to the list of thing one could invent whilst bored.

But in reality- if it aint broke- dont fix it.
Saws are not designed to overheat- they are designed to be air cooled and if you take out the muppet factor- generally it works.
If you want to add a sensor- add it to the operator, let them be aware of basic cleaning and maintenance, recognise when a chain might be dull, give a piston and ring time to realise it is in a friction situation with the cylinder after cold starting- before revving the snot out of it and 90% of the overheating situations become null and void.
The reality is you can't cure operator errors or all the things that can cause a saw to overheat. It is going to happen so why not add some simple, cheap, insignificant weight device that would be easy to install and prevent expensive damage and down time? Might not be something for pro saws but could save a lot of consumer saws from the junk pile and no, I'm not talking about my saws, it's the ones I repair that I'm thinking about.

The reality is you can't cure operator errors or all the things that can cause a saw to overheat. It is going to happen so why not add some simple, cheap, insignificant weight device that would be easy to install and prevent expensive damage and down time? Might not be something for pro saws but could save a lot of consumer saws from the junk pile and no, I'm not talking about my saws, it's the ones I repair that I'm thinking about.

True, if they were on pro saws, pro sawyers would pull them off and throw them in the bush.
I can see a lot of frustrated firewood cutters if they were using saws fitted with such a device.
Firewooding is notorious for heavy load cutting in very fast repetition, with the saws often being bar deep and working in a "pocket" of their own hot air.
A WHOLE lot of firewood worldwide is cut with consumer saws, often being asked to do more than they were ever designed to do, they get hot, but most users never notice and will get awfully grumpy if they can only get half the job done because the saw shuts down when it decided not when they decided.

Yes, such a device might save a few cookup's, but weekend wood gatherers do themselves no favours for long lived saws in a whole heap of ways and new saws are pretty cheap at most box stores.

Browning solved that problem in 1917 with the water cooled machine gun. Just epoxy a hose fitting to the block and attach the garden hose to the customers outside spigot. For climbers they can just use a back pack sprayer hooked to the fitting. In almost 50 years of commercial work I've only cooked one 100CC Super 1050. That was because it had a carb leak and was sucking air. I was young and dumb, and didn't know running a 2 stroke lean was death. The only other saws I've seen cooked were by homeowners straight gassing them. Sorry, that was an unfair statement. I've never straight gassed a saw, but I have pro friends that have, so any one can do it. No offense meant, but I think that the statement " a lot--are being replaced" is a gross overstatement. I buy saws every week and the vast majority don't run because of carb and fuel issues, followed by electronic issues. If this were half the issue you make it, it would be addressed by the manufacturers.

Autotune is overly complex, expensive and often introduces faults that many dealers can't fix, let alone the average home mechanic. It also has limits to what it can compensate for and top ends are still being destroyed from overheating conditions. My thinking is, there is and probably always will be conditions that cause a saw to overheat so if overheating is going to happen, lets just shut the engine off before damage occurs.
That's not fair, you just answered your own question. Just shut it off.

When you take it out of the realm of pro, I really don't care. When Harold Homey buys a 14" cheapy chainsaw because a storm went through his neighborhood, and he's going to get some free firewood, or is going to make a few bucks cleaning up, and cooks his saw on the first 24" downed Oak, so what. Let him cry till he runs dry. Just because 14 and 14 is 28, doesn't mean he can cut 28" wood with it. They don't need gizmos to protect his saw from him, they need a free pair of gloves with every saw sold, with micro chips in them that zap him every time the idiot does something stupid. Before this virus stuff broke out, I got six dump trailer loads of Oak saw logs dumped in my splitting area. Maybe I'll take my cute little Echo 280E and start trying to over heat it cutting 24 to 32" Oak logs. Actually, I'm just over reacting because I'm bored. I'd never try to overheat the 280, it's just to darn cute to try and hurt it on purpose.

I see the merit in the idea...but I would rip anything like that off a saw as soon as it was mine. Techno newfanglry is already a major annoyance. Overly complex carburetors, stuffed up mufflers, decomps on small saws, limited coils, all over-engineering that hurts performance.

Your heart’s in the right place, but manufacturers would just add another thing for users to complain about.

Of course, you might make some cash selling the patent.

Auto junk yards and cylinder head rebuilders use heat tabs everyday. Temperature reaches a predetermined level and the center of the tab melts . Surely a tab could be designed to be adapted to a saw cylinder to lose compression when it blows. They are small, about the size of a nickel and are driven in like a core/freeze plug. Simple and easily changed out.

Attachments

• Heat tab.PNG
    Heat tab.PNG
    65.4 KB · Views: 2
Good idea. There are also thermal snap switches that close at a predetermined temp that could be made to work. The opinion on this forum seems to be that it is something not needed on pro saws used by pro operators and for the vast number of inexperienced owners who buy consumers saws at box stores, they deserve what happens to their saws for buying cheap junk.

Back