Any of you have issues with your hands?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you noticed it more with cold weather? As mentioned numerous times vibration is the main culprit. Make sure your chain stays sharp, as it dulls some will tend to try and push the saw through the wood, just adding to muscle fatigue. Feelings of pins and needles or fingers cold to the touch when its not cold isn't anything to ignore. I know of two individuals with Raynaud's one of them has lost 2 1/2 fingers on one hand and 1/2 a thumb on the other. The other fella's hands will turn a slate blue and hurt if they get cold. Look at trying some type of mitigation like trying a pair of padded mechanics gloves or trying a different chain type. I do sheet metal work for a living and one of the things I did was replaced my bars with tungsten as opposed to steel, and further padding the side I'm grasping with foam tape. This went a long way and my hands thank me for it.

Try a shot of mustard.

I used to carry mustard packets in my line gear fighting fires. I’d take a mustard packet and half a minute later plus water I was back at it.

I still cramp at night and it wakes me up. I run to the fridge and a squirt or mustard and I’m goodl

I’ve tried this with a crazy leg cramp. It worked great but I can’t stand mustard I had a real hard time eating a spoonful of it.

so sorry to have to tell you this!! you have "O A S" THERE'S NO CURE FOR IT!! plenty of rest and gallons of fluids(your liking), keep your feet elevated as well with the rest of the body in a reclined position for as long as it takes for relief. you may pass out from the actions taken!! best of luck!!

Haha it’s not in me to sit on my ass. Even if I’m sick and don’t do much one day I get angry at myself for wasting the day.

I have that issue when I run my 200T. I hadn't thought that it could be from specific vibrations but from the necessary tight grip for a long time on a top handle saw. I usually wear gloves when operating a saw, but doing the top handle bare handed allows for a less-tight grip.

I would recommend physical training - do some grip exercises every 2-3 days - NOT every day.
View attachment 812557

Don't go for a super heavy spring, but work on more reps than strength.
I've been amazed at what weight lifting has done for my body, including my chronic knee pain. That's completely gone now.

I had to go to physical therapy years ago from a car accident. They did all kinds of tests to get baselines on everything. He was impressed with my grip strength but I know that has declined from what it was for sure. I am also rediculiously inflexible. I do have a grip strength thing I should dig it out.

Have you noticed it more with cold weather? As mentioned numerous times vibration is the main culprit. Make sure your chain stays sharp, as it dulls some will tend to try and push the saw through the wood, just adding to muscle fatigue. Feelings of pins and needles or fingers cold to the touch when its not cold isn't anything to ignore. I know of two individuals with Raynaud's one of them has lost 2 1/2 fingers on one hand and 1/2 a thumb on the other. The other fella's hands will turn a slate blue and hurt if they get cold. Look at trying some type of mitigation like trying a pair of padded mechanics gloves or trying a different chain type. I do sheet metal work for a living and one of the things I did was replaced my bars with tungsten as opposed to steel, and further padding the side I'm grasping with foam tape. This went a long way and my hands thank me for it.

I don’t think temperature makes a difference. I try to hold things as loose as I can and still be safe. I do wear gloves but their usually just crappy cheap leather gloves. I cut for an hour or so tonight after work with the 346 and a fresh chain. I forgot how grabby a freshly ground chain is. My hands never closed up on me but it was only an hour or so (two tanks of gas) then clean up with the backpack blower. But I can feel it my hands are definitely sore.

So next decent day I’ll be splitting. Hopefully I figure out why it’s puking fluid outta the vent. Gonna check for air leaks as suggested on here.

Haha it’s not in me to sit on my ass. Even if I’m sick and don’t do much one day I get angry at myself for wasting the day.
"O
"O A S" = OLD AGE SYNDROME.... LOL not lazy!!

I had to go to physical therapy years ago from a car accident. They did all kinds of tests to get baselines on everything. He was impressed with my grip strength but I know that has declined from what it was for sure. I am also rediculiously inflexible. I do have a grip strength thing I should dig it out.

Well, maybe the flexibility needs some work as well. Every muscle needs to be properly warmed up before you use it - even the singing muscles (for those of us who sing) or the lips or fingers, for those of us who play trumpet or piano. A good stretching every time is important.

The other day I was taking down a bunch of trees and used my Dolmar. It is fairly new to me. I was amazed at how smooth it was - SO MUCH LESS vibration. I immediately thought of this thread. Maybe you ought to try a smoother saw.

The other day I was taking down a bunch of trees and used my Dolmar. It is fairly new to me. I was amazed at how smooth it was - SO MUCH LESS vibration. I immediately thought of this thread. Maybe you ought to try a smoother saw.

Is it that or is it the mounts need changed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

39 sir 39!
Is that your wife in your avatar? That’s something you could focus on instead of chainsaws and wouldn’t cause you pain! :lol:
Seriously though, my issues come from the same repetitive motion when splitting wood all day. My left forearm cramps up and I have to stop. The healthier I eat, the more I exercise, and more quality rest, I have noticed I don’t cramp as much and don’t get fatigued nearly as much.

Is it that or is it the mounts need changed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, I think the saw just runs a whole lot smoother - nothing to do with the mounts. My other saws are good quality ones with good mounts but they don't run so silky smooth. More power than the Dolmar, but more vibration.

Is that your wife in your avatar? That’s something you could focus on instead of chainsaws and wouldn’t cause you pain! :lol:
Seriously though, my issues come from the same repetitive motion when splitting wood all day. My left forearm cramps up and I have to stop. The healthier I eat, the more I exercise, and more quality rest, I have noticed I don’t cramp as much and don’t get fatigued nearly as much.

I’ve been asked many times if that is my wife. Some through pms lol. That is not my wife she’s not as tan lol.

Back