Any of you have issues with your hands?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
If I’m working a while chainsawing specifically speeds it up my hands cramp up and involuntary close up. I have to pry them open and hold my hand against my body to keep it open So it dosent close back up. I did some cutting with my 066 and my 262xp: the 066 put my hands in a bad way. I think it’s the extra weight. I switched back to the 262 and cut for a little while. Once it happens once I’m just about done as I can’t stop it from happening all the time after that. It used to happen as a kid when I played hockey all day from holding the stick.

Any tips on this one fellas? It’s frustrating because when it does happen I pretty much gotta stop even though I don’t want to.

Could be from vibrations, repetitive motions , or poor hand position .

Sometimes almost like trigger finger can happen from gripping something in the same position for too long

Maybe a combination of the above

I don’t have any issues with modern saws. I did noodle a couple of cords of large pine with my Super XL Homelite. My arms were numb for days and my hands hurt for almost two weeks after that.

There is a similar thing in the motocross world called arm pump. It's kind of the same thing only in the fore arms instead of the hands, although it does effect the hands as well. Most of the time when you race your adrenaline is pumping at a higher rate then normal and you tend to grip the bars tighter. It's my theory that too tight of a grip causes a lack of oxygen feeding those muscles. This causes those muscles to lock up. I discovered that I had to force myself to relax and use a lighter grip witch allows the oxygen to keep feeding those muscles, and reducing or eliminating the arm pump.
Some think it's a lack of potassium that causes it. You might explore body builders and athletes that do extensive hard training as it may be a lack of some type of nutrient your lacking in your diet. It may be something that is called metabolic or respiratory acidosis. It simply means a part of your body is not functioning properly and causing your blood gasses to be abnormal. There may be too much acid in your blood making your blood acidic witch causes the muscles to lock up.

Vibrations are a killer myself I don’t run the 0xx series Stihl saws just because of that reason my hands will fall asleep and shake at the end of the day. The rubber style mounts that Stihl used are garbage to isolate vibration if you’re going to be running a saw all day long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to run 90 pound air hammers chipping bridge decks on roads. My hands would keep me awake at night. Have to hang them over the edge of the bed to the floor to release it. Could not grip smaller things, like a tooth brush, and would have to lace it through my fingers.
Many good thoughts and ideas above.
The o66 vibrates, and it is powerful and heavy, requiring a strong grip.
Run something smaller, lighter with better vibration design, probably not what you want to hear.
Observe when cutting, how much grip do you actually need, and balance it out, between hands.
You can often anticipate kick back, depending on how and where your cutting, adjust body position and grip in anticipation. Positioning, meaning cutting to the side of the body, off set, and not body straight on, head shot kick back. (my father-in-law had little common sense, bind the bar, jerk and pull. thirty years he never caught on. So one
Assuming this is recreational cutting, verses professional, adjust your routine to cut for shorter periods of saw time, alternating with clearing brush, loading, splitting etc. As opposed to cutting everything then loading, or cutting one day and splitting another.
If you have seen my posts, log deck set up, splitter, etc. you will see I alternate motions a lot. I added a second log deck because splitting on one side of the wood splitter was causing knee and neck strain.
With the air hammers, we quickly learned to run the tool more efficiently, using the whole body and less hand work. I did not have to grip the trigger, just activate it by pushing lightly, leaning the hammer against a thigh, scarifying and chipping the surface, or uncovering enough space around rebar for proper concrete adhesion.
The saw is similar in that, a sharp chain will reduce your effort. Sharpen at the first sign the chain is not self feeding. Possibly leave your rakers a rub longer than you might otherwise, so the cut is somewhat less, and vibration is less.
Lastly, I would suggest yoga, as everything is connected. In yoga, full chalice, or full expression of a pose, is often the inhale. Do the same with your hands. Spread your fingers and hand, even your arms, as wide, as broad as you can, and inhale. It is a vey active motion, not passive. Reach your fingers, reach your hands, and reach arms as far as possible on the inhale. Try this to your sides, then sweep, exhaling, above your head, inhale to full chalice (reaching strongly from the floor, from your feet up), come down with prayer hands to chest on exhale, reaching forward to the front, strong inhale to full chalice , alternating. I'm no teacher or expert, just a suggestion.

Try drinking more Gatorade or a sports drink that has more electrologists in it before and as you work.

Depending on how much you run saws that won’t make a difference I have ran them day in and day out it’s vibrations of the Stihl saws running the rubber mounts they’re horrible on you at the end of the day. When you can let go of a saw at the end of the day and your hands are still doing the same shake they were on the saw it’s probably not a good situation to put yourself into.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Copied from Echo safety manual
Link
https://www.echo-usa.com/Support-Help/Technical-Documents?sm=true
PRECAUTIONS AGAINST REPETITIVE STRESS
INJURIES
It is believed that overusing the muscles and tendons
of the fingers, hands, arms, and shoulders may
cause soreness, swelling, numbness, weakness, and
extreme pain to the areas just mentioned. Certain
repetitive hand activities may put you at a high risk
for developing a repetitive stress injury (RSI). An
extreme RSI condition is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
(CTS), which could occur when your wrist swells and
squeezes a vital nerve that runs through the area.
Some believe that prolonged exposure to vibration
may contribute to CTS. CTS can cause severe pain
for months or even years. To reduce the risk of RSI/
CTS, do the following:
• Avoid using your wrist in a bent, extended or twisted position. Instead, try to
maintain a straight wrist position. Also, when grasping, use your whole hand,
not just the thumb and index finger.
• Take periodic breaks to minimize repetition and rest your hands.
• Reduce the speed and force with which you do the repetitive movement.
• Do exercises to strengthen the hand and arm muscles.
• See a doctor if you feel tingling, numbness, or pain in the fingers, hands,
wrists, or arms. The sooner RSI/CTS is diagnosed, the more likely
permanent nerve and muscle damage can be prevented.
I

It's most likely dehydration, as someone above said, try drinking more electrolytes.
I notice it when/if I have a soda and then try to do work, I'm on meds for my heart which I believe contributes to my dehydration.
I can see a bit of hand vibration after you have been running a saw a while but I don't believe it would cause severe cramping. It never has on me and I've run my MS 310 all day long before. Probably underlying issues. I have dupuytren's contracture which I think contributes to my cramping.

It's most likely dehydration, as someone above said, try drinking more electrolytes.
I notice it when/if I have a soda and then try to do work, I'm on meds for my heart which I believe contributes to my dehydration.
I can see a bit of hand vibration after you have been running a saw a while but I don't believe it would cause severe cramping. It never has on me and I've run my MS 310 all day long before. Probably underlying issues. I have dupuytren's contracture which I think contributes to my cramping.
I have dupuytures also. I had the injections last summer. Worked for a while but my finger is bending again so it will be surgically repaired next winter.

But I do get cramps in my hands and feet and it's usually from dehydration

Thank you for all the suggestions guys I really appreciate it!

I do alternate all the stuff I do. I cut a little bit then split a little bit. Nothing for any length of time. I don’t use the 066 much at all honestly. 346 and 262 get 95% of the duty.

Try a shot of mustard.

I used to carry mustard packets in my line gear fighting fires. I’d take a mustard packet and half a minute later plus water I was back at it.

I still cramp at night and it wakes me up. I run to the fridge and a squirt or mustard and I’m goodl

When I chainsaw or do other hand activities all day, I put my fingertips together and push and as you push against your finger tips rotate your wrists. Do this for about 30 seconds and repeat a couple more times. Also do this before starting as a warm-up.

If I’m working a while chainsawing specifically speeds it up my hands cramp up and involuntary close up. I have to pry them open and hold my hand against my body to keep it open So it dosent close back up. I did some cutting with my 066 and my 262xp: the 066 put my hands in a bad way. I think it’s the extra weight. I switched back to the 262 and cut for a little while. Once it happens once I’m just about done as I can’t stop it from happening all the time after that. It used to happen as a kid when I played hockey all day from holding the stick.

Any tips on this one fellas? It’s frustrating because when it does happen I pretty much gotta stop even though I don’t want to.
so sorry to have to tell you this!! you have "O A S" THERE'S NO CURE FOR IT!! plenty of rest and gallons of fluids(your liking), keep your feet elevated as well with the rest of the body in a reclined position for as long as it takes for relief. you may pass out from the actions taken!! best of luck!!

I have that issue when I run my 200T. I hadn't thought that it could be from specific vibrations but from the necessary tight grip for a long time on a top handle saw. I usually wear gloves when operating a saw, but doing the top handle bare handed allows for a less-tight grip.

I would recommend physical training - do some grip exercises every 2-3 days - NOT every day.
1585585093882.png

Don't go for a super heavy spring, but work on more reps than strength.
I've been amazed at what weight lifting has done for my body, including my chronic knee pain. That's completely gone now.

Back