Anyone bore cut to take down trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
As some know I had a logger take down my ash trees. He bore cut all of them. It all happened to fast to learn but the guy has been logging for 20 years and dropped 80 foot trees with pin point accuracy. He bore cut every tree and after googeling it, it is exactially what he told me. I'd love to learn it but will probably not try it. Anyone else use it? The loggers view on trees vs the tree service views on trees is quite different and interesting.

Bore cutting was heavily promoted by Soren Eriksson and ‘The Game of Logging’. I use it on leaners to help prevent ‘barberchairing’.

Philbert

This dude had a whole different method for baberchairing. He tried to explain it to me and something about cutting the notch on the opposite side then cutting the other side?.. and so on. Either way he dropped a baberchair on top of the bottom part of the log. One went one way the other went the other and they sat on top of each other. I got 25 years of experience in a 1 hour lesson. I learned nothing but was amazed lol.

I'll have to look I to this more, its interesting. I have a friend I went to school with, moved out west to the big timbers, talk about how they felled trees is totally different from how we do around here in the east. Said a lot about boar cutting, and using wedges to tension the wood, then nipping the last inch with the saw to make the tree pop over. I never understood what he meant, as we were talking on the phone. Guess it's a need to see it kinda thing.

There have been a number of threads here on A.S. about bore cutting. Some people like it for general use because it leaves a ‘trigger’ release, which can be activated while standing farther back from the tree.

You could learn it easily, although, it always helps to have someone there to show / coach you.

Philbert

I’ll bet he didn’t barberchair any of them. If he did he did it just for the noise.

Well he explained to me what he did with the hard leaner and how he did it and that it was a dangerous cut and he knew it would baberchair before he cut it. But it looked flawless to me and he didn't seem concerned about it. It went where he said it would and did what he said it would.

There have been a number of threads here on A.S. about bore cutting. Some people like it for general use because it leaves a ‘trigger’ release, which can be activated while standing farther back from the tree.

You could learn it easily, although, it always helps to have someone there to show / coach you.

Philbert

That was what he said the last part in the back of the tree holds it stable while you hit the wedges in then you cut it and it falls. I watched him several times watch the cut as he ran the 390xp with one hand. He took a tree leaning whatever direction and wedge it to where he wanted with a bore cut. Wedge or not he bore cut every tree. Its an interesting way to cut a tree and i guess in the woods it gives you a lot of quick drop to avoid a stuck tree.

Philbert
Ima get my search on. Cheers

A lot of loggers will bore cut to save timber as that's how they make their money.

A tree service will(should) cut for safety. The trees are worthless.

^^ Exactly. A Co was clearing land for a customers pond and they were using the timber for pallet wood. They bore cut every tree and said it gave them another 6"-10" of tree to sell. They also cut the notch from the bottom up, and the horizontal part of the notch was on the top, so when the tree fell it had a flat end, no notch in it, the notch stayed with the stump.

I had a logger take down my ash trees by bore cutting all of them.

It happened too fast to learn, but the guy has been logging for 20 years and dropped 80 foot trees with pin point accuracy.

I'd love to learn it but will probably not try it. Anyone else use it? The logger's view on trees vs the tree service view on trees is quite different and interesting.

It's supposed to be a safer way - it's nothing complicated.

Is the logger you hired hauling off the timber for lumber?

It's supposed to be a safer way - it's nothing complicated.

Is the logger you hired hauling off the timber for lumber?

He didn't want it. He said he would help me out with my ash tree problem. He cut every ash tree within falling distance of my house and the ones my neighbor requested to be cut. He said I do have enough for a truck load of logs but didn't feel like messing with it because its around the house and getting a log truck in wouldn't be easy. If I cut them to 22' lengths and stack them he will give me 550$ for the load, which isn't worth it to me.

He didn't want it. He said he would help me out with my ash tree problem. He cut every ash tree within falling distance of my house and the ones my neighbor requested to be cut. He said I do have enough for a truck load of logs but didn't feel like messing with it because its around the house and getting a log truck in wouldn't be easy. If I cut them to 22' lengths and stack them he will give me 550$ for the load, which isn't worth it to me.

Oh.

Your message about his view on the trees vs a tree service made it sound like they were valuable to him.

I was thinking perhaps he bought the wood from you for saw logs.

He likely bore cut everything just because he prefers to do it that way. It usually helps prevent fiber pull on saw logs, so more bd/ft (and $$) out of a log.

Oh.

Your message about his view on the trees vs a tree service made it sound like they were valuable to him.

I was thinking perhaps he bought the wood from you for saw logs.

He likely bore cut everything just because he prefers to do it that way. It usually helps prevent fiber pull on saw logs, so more bd/ft (and $$) out of a log.
All I ment is that the logger drops every tree where the tree service likes to rope them down. He even said that to me that the tree service always wants to rope them down. I think its all about time and money. The longer the tree service is there the more they make and the more trees the logger gets cut the more he makes.

All I ment is that the logger drops every tree where the tree service likes to rope them down. He even said that to me that the tree service always wants to rope them down. I think its all about time and money. The longer the tree service is there the more they make and the more trees the logger gets cut the more he makes.

Maybe in other areas, around here tree jobs are bid buy the job, not by the hour. So the longer the tree service stays on the job, the less they make(per hour). So what you're saying doesn't make any sense.

Loggers don't (usually) log around houses because yard trees are known to have metal in them and are worthless. If there's no targets, then even a tree service is going to fall the tree whole. I don't know any tree service that would rope down a tree that they could just tip over. Again, less time, less risk.

That logger doesn't know much about tree service, which is fine, he's a logger. They're totally different games inside of the realm of tree work though. A logger bore cuts to keep from pulling wood out of the log in the hinge wood or cracking the log. A tree service doesn't care two cents about pulling wood because it doesn't matter to their bottom line at all. They get paid the same whether that log pulls wood. Just like the logger pays attention to the lay of the land where he's falling so he doesn't land the log on a rock or over a crest that could break the log. Again, tree service doesn't care one bit about that.

Ash, especially leaners, are prone to splitting/barber chair. I bore cut every one I take down (firewood) and bore cut many other types of trees just for the accuracy and safety. Husqvarna promotes it and does a great demo on borecutting at the Paul Bunyan show in Cambridge, OH. I don't know it it will go on this year or not due to covid.

Back