Are These Hornets?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and add Listerine mouth wash and Soap..It's a great mix and works magic..
How your mix works is the alcohol in the listerine kills them, along with the detergent which allows the alcohol/water mix to coat the insects. There are special insecticidal soaps to spray insects with, that just coats and smothers them. There are also other ingredients in listerine that are insecticides.......

listerine ingredients

Your mix has the soap and ethyl alcohol, which enters the insects breathing apparatus efficiently and kills them faster. When you spray insects with soapy water, they can't fly well as the soap allows the water to coat them. If you spray with just water, it just pisses them off, and they can still fly. Drop an ant in a cup of water, it will float and swim around. Add a drop of detergent, and it sinks. Insects shells repel water well.

The permethrin concentrate I mentioned, has an emulsifier (think soap) that allows the permethrin, which is hydrophobic, to mix with the water.

Like said above, have two or three cans ready; don't run short in the heat of battle. Attack them at night when they're all home. Everybody everywhere seems to have hornet, wasp, and yella jacket trouble. In my area, we're sold out of any and all hornet and wasp killer, from 3 small towns to the closest city. I was lucky enough to grab the last six cans at a Canadian Tire a couple weeks back. I was out until 1am raiding hornet and wasp nests last week. Even had a nest behind the wooden box liner by the wheel well in my truck. Found out when I slammed the tailgate lol.

There was a video on YT about a guy mixing dish soap and water and spraying on wasps, and it killed them. Dish soap has trouble washing dishes, I'll try it out sometime and see if it actually works.
It works.

We have those white faced hornets, mean like a wolverine. The first bite gives off a scent for the whole nest to attack you. So one bite run forest, run,
Two of us with four cans of hornet spray took out the nest at 1am. Beaware there’s a guard in the hole get him quickly.

We have those white faced hornets, mean like a wolverine. The first bite gives off a scent for the whole nest to attack you. So one bite run forest, run,
Two of us with four cans of hornet spray took out the nest at 1am. Beaware there’s a guard in the hole get him quickly.
They are certainly mean! I get itchy all over from them.

Yup, you gotta go-in spraying. A practice blast is helpful to figure out range, spray pattern, and direction. More than one guard, for sure. You can see the buggers at the entrance, and sometimes just outside the entrance.

We had a huge Hornets next in a tree and the guy who hired us to cut it just snipped the branch and let the nest fall in a black garbage bag and tied it up. WTF!
Of course. That is the ideal situation. Most of the honeybee swarms we catch are exactly that, although we lower them carefully into a hive box...when things go right. Honeybees are very docile in a swarm. You can reach right into the cluster if you want to. Slowly so that everything can move around your hand. Go in fingers closed or open, but leave them that way once you are in.

anyway, have a good day.

Yup, you gotta go-in spraying. A practice blast is helpful to figure out range, spray pattern, and direction. More than one guard, for sure. You can see the buggers at the entrance, and sometimes just outside the entrance.
I spray with my tow behind sprayer from about 30 feet away! Don't go in range!

I had an opportunity a few years ago with just the right lighting to look at a small swarm right into the middle from the bottom side. There was the Queen and her tenders in a protected, vacant area in the middle, maybe an inch and a half of a protected sphere of openness with the cluster all packed tightly around it. It was cool, I thought.

Still there... I guess. I haven't seen a hornet near the nest in days.
I don't see any change on the internal structure either.
Maybe they realized there wasn't enough room to expand and moved on?

081321.JPG

Back