Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice bunch of projects!

As for my axe handle sources, we have Home Hardware stores that have VB Swinger, and Princess Auto that have Seymour handles but you're going to have to hand pick for a good one.
Lee Valley sell replacement handles for GB and Hultafors if you want some nice hickory.
We have a couple of local producers of ash handles but you still have to hand pick to get a good one .

Been busy the past few weeks, but managed to fit in an old Fulton (Pre-Craftsmen) Single Bit Axe fitted with a hardware store handle that I shaved down considerably. I mean, I took a LOT of wood off of it with a spokeshave... Hardware store handles, heck, most pre-made handles are way too thick. It weighs about 3.75 lb and hung on a 36" bent grip haft, slash grain with a good portion of heartwood. Hang is damn near perfect.

zF0nNou.jpg

lAKzTG0.jpg

gyTyiJg.jpg

2jQnFCN.jpg

zZ5gPqH.jpg

Been busy the past few weeks, but managed to fit in an old Fulton (Pre-Craftsmen) Single Bit Axe fitted with a hardware store handle that I shaved down considerably. I mean, I took a LOT of wood off of it with a spokeshave... Hardware store handles, heck, most pre-made handles are way too thick. It weighs about 3.75 lb and hung on a 36" bent grip haft, slash grain with a good portion of heartwood. Hang is damn near perfect.

zF0nNou.jpg

lAKzTG0.jpg

gyTyiJg.jpg

2jQnFCN.jpg

zZ5gPqH.jpg
Man that sure is pretty

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The other day I received a package from a new friend in Sweden. It's a vintage Hults Bruk 'Wira' pattern, 1lk or 2.25 lb. Got the rust off and am working on a handle, thinking a 28" curved haft. Will post more later as progress gets made, was just so excited to get this I had to share.

TpgETEC.jpg

Ixd0NpI.jpg

JUDdwEc.jpg

The other day I received a package from a new friend in Sweden. It's a vintage Hults Bruk 'Wira' pattern, 1lk or 2.25 lb. Got the rust off and am working on a handle, thinking a 28" curved haft. Will post more later as progress gets made, was just so excited to get this I had to share.

TpgETEC.jpg

Ixd0NpI.jpg

JUDdwEc.jpg
About time you show back up in here

Did u get that house sold ?

Yes, I did - finally! Went to settlement and closed just this past Tuesday. Lost my you know what on it, it was a bad investment, but it's done and over with. Last month on the 29th my father passed away unexpectedly, and I'm the executor or PR of his "estate", or rather, what remains of it. My father lives about 90 minutes drive one-way from here, so it''s wholly inconvenient to get to. Needless to say, my plate is pretty full. Didn't mean to be a downer, but that's the reason why...

Yes, I did - finally! Went to settlement and closed just this past Tuesday. Lost my you know what on it, it was a bad investment, but it's done and over with. Last month on the 29th my father passed away unexpectedly, and I'm the executor or PR of his "estate", or rather, what remains of it. My father lives about 90 minutes drive one-way from here, so it''s wholly inconvenient to get to. Needless to say, my plate is pretty full. Didn't mean to be a downer, but that's the reason why...
Sorry to hear that buddy. Was just joking about not being here. Still want to meet up sometime when things settle down

Latest posts

Back