Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old handle I had to cut off that was in really bad shape. Unbelievable how tight the grain is.

I’ve never seen anything in stores like this.

And that waviness to it I imagine Has to help a tad bit
4bc882cf024937f789fac37e491b1a05.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Old handle I had to cut off that was in really bad shape. Unbelievable how tight the grain is.

I’ve never seen anything in stores like this.

And that waviness to it I imagine Has to help a tad bit
4bc882cf024937f789fac37e491b1a05.jpg

I wonder if a private sawmill could make some blanks out of tighter grain stuff. I agree, much of what I see at stores is wide grained and often oriented the wrong way.

I wonder if a private sawmill could make some blanks out of tighter grain stuff. I agree, much of what I see at stores is wide grained and often oriented the wrong way.20180221_094705.jpg
I cut a few Ash bla la with grain so tight you need an ice pick to count the rings. You could free hand the ruff blank and the square it up on a table saw. That's what I did on my throwing hatchet a couple years ago.

Attachments

• 20180223_082415.jpg
    20180223_082415.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
I wonder if a private sawmill could make some blanks out of tighter grain stuff. I agree, much of what I see at stores is wide grained and often oriented the wrong way.View attachment 836493
I cut a few Ash bla la with grain so tight you need an ice pick to count the rings. You could free hand the ruff blank and the square it up on a table saw. That's what I did on my throwing hatchet a couple years ago.

I wonder if a private sawmill could make some blanks out of tighter grain stuff. I agree, much of what I see at stores is wide grained and often oriented the wrong way.

Got a new handle for my maul yesterday. I was talking to the hardware store guy and telling him about the grain direction and how it’s better when they’re tight and he was looking at me like

giphy.gif

I was talking to the hardware store guy and telling him about the grain direction and how it’s better when they’re tight and he was looking at me like

giphy.gif

First thing I tell the kid at Ace is if he's going over to the isle and start reading items to find the correct applications, he's no dam good to me.
Definitely a common issue.

I usually know exactly what I need, just need someone to point me in the right direction once I get in the store.....You either get someone who has no idea where stuff is at, or if it is an Ace you get the old guy who wants to argue with you cause he knows better. A guy cannot win LOL

Got it hung yesterday. May have found a new favorite Maul as a companion to my Fiskars 36” super split.

The grain in not the best but it is the best i found in town. All the others looked terrible. This one is only kinda bad[emoji1787]

Anyone have a good source that you can buy handles online and trust that you’re getting a good one?

f05ca91b2673569b2cc20e55ce648778.jpg

Many thanks for a surprise gift from our esteemed member, @LondonNeil !

What a beautiful little 2.25 lb Elwell Kent Patterns axe - I've always wanted a nice Kent pattern! Such a classically historic and old design. What better way to show it off than sitting atop a 25kg sack of my favorite English brewing malt:

HEvFIAS.jpg

2N5RgUW.jpg

Htw7fne.jpg

In true English fashion, I might have to hand carve a handle from some Ash. Some medium sized trees are recently dead, and may be somewhat green still - the small diameter riven wood would make for a good light axe length.

Back