Baileys Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolmaker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I saw Baileys has 20" loops of their 30-rc chain on sale for $10.49. I am running Oregon 3/8-.050 full chisel (72LP??) on my MS460. I don't like Stihl chain, so I go to another dealer to buy loops of Oregon chain. They run about $22.00/loop. I think Stihl chain is too soft and too expensive. Is Baileys chain any good?? Does it compare to what I am using now?? Who makes it?? What is the difference between square chisel and round chisel, the shape of the file?? If this chain is any good, that price seems like a fair deal. I cut a lot of dry red and white oak, and cherry. Sorry for all the questions, Thanks all!

Hey Toolmaker, seems that a previous post had the Bailey`s chain as made by Carlton. If so, I`d say good chain. You can get 20" loops of Oregon chain, lg and dg? from commercial cutters for $9.95 + shipping, no tax outside New York State. Haven`t checked any of our site sponsors for chain because Commercial Cutters is near me. Russ

ToolMaker, I own a tree service and Baileys chain is all i run from my ms200T -
046Mag As far as i'm concerned they as good or better than stihl.Right out of the box there pretty aggresive and resharpen easily.

bailey's chain

Good stuff, they are good people too. They saved me money by suggesting that I buy a 50 ft. spool. saved 30 bucks. square ground and round have the same cutter it is just that where you file them,one has a round shape and the other has a corner point, square does cut better but is tougher to sharpen.

Last edited:
My experience and opinion is different from you guys I guess. I feel that the Oregon chain is a weaker chain and does not sharpen as easily. While myself and a couple other guys have experience in cutting chain many of our other employees do not. Without fail they will bend the Oregon chain and even hate to cut it. However, the Stihl chain gives them no problem. The links do bend when the punch is a little off center. In addition, the Oregon chain will seemingly burn much easier when one of our lesser experienced guys are shapening. Now I know the reason for their problems but it just lends example why I think that the Stihl chain is much stronger. In addition, I saw a test where both the Stihl and the Oregon chain were put on a machine which would stretch the loop to its breaking point. The Oregon broke at a lower force everytime.

However, we will discount our Stihl chain on larger orders. If a guy is ordering from Madsens, Baileys, ect we will usually get pretty close to that price if need be. I wont sell just ones and twos for less then full retail. However I can sell 72DL chains for about $11-$12 if ordering enough for a 100ft. roll. You dont make a lot selling it that way but you keep a customer coming to you.

Chain

This is my experience. We sell Stihl and Oregon chain. Used to sell oregon 3 to 1 because Stihl price was not competetive. Stihl then dropped price. Now Stihl is 2 to 1. When I asked Pros why they do not like Stihl chain, they say it is too Hard to file. I then ask if it lasts longer. I get an emphatic YES.
Seems too me a chain that lasts longer for the same money is a better deal. I use Stihl and sharpen with a file. I have no problem. And it sure does last longer. More aggressive too.

THANK YOU JOKERS!!!!! I got commercial cutters site and phone # from the internet. Called them today and spoke to a woman (didn't get her name) she was extemely nice, and very helpful. Bought 4-72 LG chain loops for 1/2 the price of local, including shipping. I know this sounds like I am a hipocrit, because I believe in supporting your local dealer. If it were a matter of a couple of bucks, I would have bought locally, but 50% is 50%. Thanks again.

Back