Bar and Chain Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treeman14

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I started using the Husky Pro Forest bar and chain oil about 8 years ago when we had to cut hundreds of maleluca trees growing around a pond. The contract required the use of a non-petroleum based bar and chain lubricant. I've been using it ever since then and I haven't noticed any unusual problems with my bars or chains. I recently switched to Stihl's BioPlus Lubricant due to supply problems with Husqvarna. Has anyone else tried these environmentally friendly lubricants and what is your opinion of them? Nearly everyone I know says I'm crazy for spending up to $15 a gallon for this stuff, but I made a commitment to do what I can to protect the environment and I'm sticking to it.

Here in the U.K. the fprestry commission (government) only uses organic chain lubes as policy. I can tell tyou that they are made from various things such as rape seed oil, and are generally twice the price. The other thing is that most of them are twice as effective, and you can turn down your oil pump on your saw.

Thumbs up to organic oils !!!!!!!

Thanks for the thumbs up! Many people have told me the environmental lubes don't work as well and I'll end up ruining bars, but I haven't noticed any difference. Over here they're about four times the price of regular oil.

In the forest industry Brett, there is quite a bit of research going into bio-degradable oils right now. Interest stems from the fact that a feller buncher can, when a hose breaks, dump 40 gallons of oil onto the ground in less time than it takes for the operator of react.

Problems to date are the oils abilities to resist heat breakdown and oxidation, but me thinks they have got the lubricity problems sorted out. They are the future.

I had the same question. Just as a short experiment I bought a gallon of the cheapest cooking oil from the grocery store. It is canola oil which is another name for rapeseed oil. After running a gallon, I could not see any difference. I know this is not scientific or long term enough to show any real difference. For me, it means that there is one less gallon of motor oil drained onto the ground.
Please read posting guidelines. Do not advertise other forums. Thanks, Darin

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
My local Stihl dealer has just informed me that Stihl BioPlus Bar and Chain oil is no longer available. Same with Husky Pro Forest. I think its ludicrous that with all the environmental concerns today, I can't buy earth-friendly oil at any price. I believe the reason these are not available is because not enough people are using them to make it profitable for the manufacturer. If we don't start using this stuff on our own, the government will eventually get involved and make laws requiring us to use it. How much will it cost then? $20, $30 a gallon? :angry:

Hmm I jus bought 2 jugs of the sthil stuff. I like Toms idea, I'll probibly use some cooking oil in my old saws to see what happens.

Darren, Whats up with this no links stuff? If there is info on ISA, Russ Carlsons Knothole or other non comercial sites why not link over to it.

Here is an idea, those that are acceptable you post on a "links page" and we can link to it. I found this site through links from both of the above.

Latest posts

Back