Oil free water soluble bar and chain lube

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's based on a thick ,plant-derived ,non-toxic alcohol ,with a surfactant /anti-corrosion agent and a "preservative" added .

View attachment 1078961
https://b3cfuel.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/B3C-Better-Than-Oil-Bar-and-Chain-Lubricant-SDS.pdf
It is closely related to cooling liquids used
on automobiles .Much thicker though...

But here's the catch ...
Check the substance with CAS# 4719-04-4 .
The third one on the table above ...

Now read the following :

https://www.ashland.com/file_source...lity/rc_hexahydro-135-tris-s-triazine_pss.pdf
Fatal if inhaled ...
That product contains 0.5 to 0.8 % of that crap ( triazines ) .
The hexahydro-blah-blah has the same exposure limit as traditional bar oil mist, but is less than 1% of the makeup of the veggie oil. It sounds like the primary use of the stuff is as an anti-bacterial in water-soluble metal working fluids. Nasty bugs growing in machine tool sumps is a huge problem in machine shops.

I, and many friends and acquaintances, would be dead by now if it were terribly dangerous. Not that I'll be rushing out to buy $35/gallon bar oil...

The hexahydro-blah-blah has the same exposure limit as traditional bar oil mist, but is less than 1% of the makeup of the veggie oil. It sounds like the primary use of the stuff is as an anti-bacterial in water-soluble metal working fluids. Nasty bugs growing in machine tool sumps is a huge problem in machine shops.

I, and many friends and acquaintances, would be dead by now if it were terribly dangerous. Not that I'll be rushing out to buy $35/gallon bar oil...

If it is the same stuff, I'd be dead too. Interesting.

This kind of discussion is exactly why I posted this here.

I have that issue with my flood coolant machine tools and to that end I use Tramp Oil Skimmers and the concentrated coolant I use contains a biocide anyway.

Sounds like a product meant to kill people like fentanyl. On the opposite end so many other things we are told are healthy or safe or important for keeping us healthy and safe.

Considering that the output of our chainsaws is (highly toxic and potentially deadly) carbon monoxide that we get to breathe while using the saw, I don't see that the potential risk from the new bar lube is anything to be worried about.

Seems like it might be worth watching. I wouldn't mind using something less petroleum-based than bar lube when sawing up wood that I'll use in smoking meat.

I just found a gallon on home despot for $20 with free shipping and despite a tiny percentage of toxic ingredients, I figure it has to be better than petroleum based B+C oil. My question is: do i need to completely clean out the reservoir to make the change? Anyone?

Back