Possible cheap two stroke + bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bar oil shipped... 2 stroke oil is on hold.

And yeah, do sign up for their email before ordering... I only got a $5 coupon (not $10), but still woulda been nice if I could have used that on this order... as long as it doesn't expire right away I'll use it next time I guess. (Edit: Nope, only valid for 30 days, so make sure to sign up your email first)

How does the 2 stroke oil rebate work... In store only?

I ran through about 3.5 gallons of fuel this weekend so this is my initial impression of Mystik oil products:

Bar Oil: Like Steve said, it falls in the middle between Summer and Winter bar oil, for both thickness and tackyness. Lubricity seems the same as STIHL. For $8 gallon I'm switching to Mystik for most of my saws.
Mystik Bar And Chain Lubricant compared to:​
  • STIHL's orange bottle Summer oil: STIHL is very thick and tacky.
  • STIHL's silver bottle Summer oil (HP oil): STIHL is very thick and tacky.
  • STIHL's blue bottle Winter oil: Mystik falls right in the middle of Summer and Winter (Winter is thinner and not nearly as tacky).
  • FVP Bar & Chain Oil (Menard's, generic): FVP is thinner and less tacky than any of the other, probably good for low-speed electric saws (I won't be running FVP in a gas chainsaw).
Engine Oil: I couldn't tell if there's any lubricity or thickness difference between Mystik and other oils I had on hand, and that's probably due to the SB or S-whatever rating making them meet certain specifications. For those who hate the smell of STIHL oil, you're probably not going to like Mystik...
  • Mystik JT4 Engine Oil: Deep purple color, doesn't smell in the bottle but has a definite odor when run, though not as strong as STIHL. Mystik smells like, uh, well...I don't know, burning piston rings??? Ya gotta run this stuff and tell me what it smells like.
  • John Deere: Deep blood red color and doesn't smell--maybe there's classic 2-stroke smell, but there's nothing that stands out.
  • STIHL HP Ultra: Light Forrest Green color, smells like dead wet cat in the bottle, and running....well, STIHL fans will recognize the oil when someone is running it...
    Given the light color it's somewhat difficult to be sure the fuel is premix unless it's in a white plastic tank.
  • I have standard orange-bottle STIHL oil and a few generics, at this point I didn't care to open them.

Other than in "specialty saw" situations I'm switching to Mystik. Mystik engine oil has to meet JASO FD specs since that's what's on the label, whereas STIHL HP is FB on the bottle I have, so Mystik should be better engine oil at 1/4 the cost. Bar oil...in my STIHL saws I'll run STIHL oil in warm weather since the oilers/chain/bars are designed for that, but in other saws and in cold weather it makes sense to run Mystik at 1/3 the cost.

Mystik.jpg

I personally buy Co-op SONIC b&c oil at my local store. I'm not sure who makes their products but their heavy and light oils are excellent and I have yet to experience any issues with oiling or overheating during a long cut (even doing a bit of milling, the heavy stuff does such a good job it doesn't even heat up the chain during a 12'-16' long cut) Its also priced at $16 CAD per gallon which makes me happy.

I don't know of anyone else who runs sonic oils but if anyone have something bad to say about it, I'd be happy to know as its just cheap and available but Im not married to it.

I ran through about 3.5 gallons of fuel this weekend so this is my initial impression of Mystik oil products:

Bar Oil: Like Steve said, it falls in the middle between Summer and Winter bar oil, for both thickness and tackyness. Lubricity seems the same as STIHL. For $8 gallon I'm switching to Mystik for most of my saws.
Mystik Bar And Chain Lubricant compared to:​
  • STIHL's orange bottle Summer oil: STIHL is very thick and tacky.
  • STIHL's silver bottle Summer oil (HP oil): STIHL is very thick and tacky.
  • STIHL's blue bottle Winter oil: Mystik falls right in the middle of Summer and Winter (Winter is thinner and not nearly as tacky).
  • FVP Bar & Chain Oil (Menard's, generic): FVP is thinner and less tacky than any of the other, probably good for low-speed electric saws (I won't be running FVP in a gas chainsaw).
Engine Oil: I couldn't tell if there's any lubricity or thickness difference between Mystik and other oils I had on hand, and that's probably due to the SB or S-whatever rating making them meet certain specifications. For those who hate the smell of STIHL oil, you're probably not going to like Mystik...
  • Mystik JT4 Engine Oil: Deep purple color, doesn't smell in the bottle but has a definite odor when run, though not as strong as STIHL. Mystik smells like, uh, well...I don't know, burning piston rings??? Ya gotta run this stuff and tell me what it smells like.
  • John Deere: Deep blood red color and doesn't smell--maybe there's classic 2-stroke smell, but there's nothing that stands out.
  • STIHL HP Ultra: Light Forrest Green color, smells like dead wet cat in the bottle, and running....well, STIHL fans will recognize the oil when someone is running it...
    Given the light color it's somewhat difficult to be sure the fuel is premix unless it's in a white plastic tank.
  • I have standard orange-bottle STIHL oil and a few generics, at this point I didn't care to open them.

Other than in "specialty saw" situations I'm switching to Mystik. Mystik engine oil has to meet JASO FD specs since that's what's on the label, whereas STIHL HP is FB on the bottle I have, so Mystik should be better engine oil at 1/4 the cost. Bar oil...in my STIHL saws I'll run STIHL oil in warm weather since the oilers/chain/bars are designed for that, but in other saws and in cold weather it makes sense to run Mystik at 1/3 the cost.

View attachment 1125566
Part of the smell issue you mention is likely related to the use of a product formulated for injection systems. These products use more solvents which can and do pass through a two cycle motor without combusting.
The pre mix Mystik/Citgo product had hardly any smell when I used it years ago.
Ashless oils like Stihl Ultra use Amin base dispersents which likewise pass though a motor uncombuated and have a very strong smell.

Part of the smell issue you mention is likely related to the use of a product formulated for injection systems. These products use more solvents which can and do pass through a two cycle motor without combusting.
Ashless oils like Stihl Ultra use Amin base dispersents which likewise pass though a motor uncombuated and have a very strong smell.
Yep ultra does stink though not as bad in my lawn boy i have been mulching leaves with.

The burning question is: Is this the smell of cancer in the air? How serious is the risk?

The burning question is: Is this the smell of cancer in the air? How serious is the risk?
No, as itnpertains to cancer and this is one area where a MSDS is useful.
Keep in mind that breathing any two cycle exhaust isn't good as with a traditional two stroke your basicly huffing unburnt gasoline. Which is another reading why the guysbusingnleadednfuel in their saws are stupid.

Holy cow, that's a lot of cutting. At 40-to-1, 14 gallons of 2T oil makes 560 gallons of 2Mix...

I'm not sure I've used 14 gallons of bar oil or 2T oil in my entire life. How many saws did that wear out? :laugh::chainsaw:
I got 14 gallons of mystic bar oil last year. 5 gallons of 2 stroke oil. Although that was an unrelated purchase and not mystic brand oil. I expect the 2t oil to last a few years.

That's a good deal on the bar oil, gotta buy 7 1 gallon ones to get cheap shipping.. that's the cheapest option. Hope this is ok but I gotta find out somehow; My question: I find I have to use a real good bar oil on my 550xp mark 2 cause oil pump is limited, up all the way and barely enough.. does anyone here know where to get a H.O. pump for that saw? Run 18" 325 8pin (ported 5.5hp) other saws 572-592xp can run anything but not little saw cause lack of flow
I'm surprised you don't think it has enough oil capacity, I've never heard of a husqy not oiling a bar very well, and an 18" is right in the 550xp wheel house.
If anyone orders this stuff, post back and let us know how it goes.
I gave my impressions on it last year when we discussed buying it in the other cheap oil thread. Thinner then most summer oils, but not enough it's just thrown off. Film strength seems just fine, chains have plenty of oil sticking to them.
I was more thinking about the free freight thing, and if they'll actually ship 7 gallons of oil to you if you buy $50 worth.
Why wouldn't they ship it? Mine came in 4 gallons to a box, save the last 2 were by themselves.

I just worked on a saw where the user put bar oil in the fuel tank instead of fuel mix. Even after I cleaned it out the smoke and fumes were terrible!
Happens from time to time.

Some I have to pull carbs and flush everything out to get them going again. = EASY $$

I just got saw user off that stihl orange bottle FB oil. Showed him the FD poulan synthetic oil made to husky specs for them. Plus it's cheaper to buy then stihl prices. I keep it for locals in 1 gal mix 40:1 so they cant goof it up.

s029soil.jpg
poilz.jpg

Why wouldn't they ship it? Mine came in 4 gallons to a box, save the last 2 were by themselves.

I know what my company pays for freight, I know we don't get good enough rates to ship that much weight for those prices and still make any money.

I also know that if the first rule of sales is "buy low, sell high" then the second rule is "don't sell out of your own pocket." I've made so stinking much money selling stuff at absurd prices that I myself would never pay, but my customer was happy to do so, because it was still a good deal for them.

"Don't sell out of your own pocket" applies on the vendor side too. I'm sure these big companies ship as much in a day as my small company ships all year, and get freight rates I can't even imagine. They probably paid under two bucks each for a train car load of gallon jugs of oil that they're now selling for $8/ea. Changes the numbers significantly. I'm also very aware of the concept of the loss leader, which these might be.

Long way of saying, I dunno why I'm still skeptical about this stuff.

I know what my company pays for freight, I know we don't get good enough rates to ship that much weight for those prices and still make any money.

I also know that if the first rule of sales is "buy low, sell high" then the second rule is "don't sell out of your own pocket." I've made so stinking much money selling stuff at absurd prices that I myself would never pay, but my customer was happy to do so, because it was still a good deal for them.

"Don't sell out of your own pocket" applies on the vendor side too. I'm sure these big companies ship as much in a day as my small company ships all year, and get freight rates I can't even imagine. They probably paid under two bucks each for a train car load of gallon jugs of oil that they're now selling for $8/ea. Changes the numbers significantly. I'm also very aware of the concept of the loss leader, which these might be.

Reminds me of Rules of Acquisition:

1.) Once you have their money, you never give it back.
10.) Greed is eternal.
34.) War is good for business.
35.) Peace is good for business.
47.) Don't trust a man wearing a better suit than your own.
48.) The bigger the smile, the sharper the knife.
111.) Treat people in your debt like family… exploit them.
239.) Never be afraid to mislabel a product.
285.) No good deed ever goes unpunished.
And of course: A man is only worth the sum of his possessions.

The Ferengi got some things right, but they got a lot wrong too.

I'm out to make a living, not a killing. As my FIL says, there's too much honest business out there, no need to be dishonest or gouge people. When I talked about charging customers absurd prices above, it's because my cost was absurd too, and I'm not paying people to take what I'm selling. By the time I have enough info to know the price is absurd, I've done 98% of the work to quote the item. I've been in sales long enough to know that enough people bite, even at what I consider absurd pricing, that it's most definitely worth doing the last little bit of legwork and quoting it.

Do honest business, charge a reasonable amount, and if you want more money, work harder and do more deals.

They don't do the free shipping all the time, and must have an over stock of the oil because it wasn't available for shipping all summer. (That I noticed.) I need to talk to my dad, but I'll probably get another 10 gallons of it at least. It's good oil.

I wanted to make a side note about mystic in general. Years ago, when u did a lot of work in coal mines and rock quarries mystic was a main stay in oils, and grease. Never seen any more or less wear in pins, engines or transmissions then using any other brand. Price was always decent.

Back