Has anyone tried DeWalt bar oil? Where can guy pick up a gallon size?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None of the companies make their own bar oil. They might specify certain grades, additives, etc.

Chainsaws are such a minor part of the DeWalt brand (part of Stanley tool), that I can’t imagine it having advantages over stuff made for mainstream saw companies.

Philbert

I buy the cheapest bar oil I can find and have never had a problem. I refuse to buy anything dewalt since I bought a 100 dollar drill 35 years ago that had plastic gears and lasted 2 days. I took it back and got a Milwaukee which I still have.
I buy cheap oil at TSC. In my opinion, the main thing needed for bar oil is enough tackiness that it will stay on the bar long enough to lubricate it. In any case, it will not stay long enough to oxidize or break down. I cut only hardwoods, so cleaning sap is not an issue for me.

Thanks, I'll stay with my bar oil... seem to work for me even in cold weather. Never hurts to check and ask questions, the only one you're hurting is yourself by not asking and assuming! Hopefully we all clean our saws, never a fun chore but it's just maintenance that has to be done. I was just hoping to make the chore easier save on bar wear.
Well if that is the case... no thanks also. Saw a Bucking Billy Ray video on this oil and thought if it's cheaper and the oiling is just as good as he claims thought I'd give it a try. The claim is saw cleanup is so much better, he claims DeWalt is the only oil he runs now because of easy clean-up. I cleaned up a couple saw last week and thought I'd try it but couldn't find this product.
Has anyone tried silicon spray to help with keeping saw cleaner. I heard it helps and provide UV protection on plastic as well?
I hear ya on the anti stick spray for the clutch case area...I was thinking of using some teflon or silicone or the spray they make for lawnmower decks. The saw should run cooler and cleaner if all the chips and tackifier agent in the bar oil are gone. I use carnuba or any slick auto detail wax on my polished/and painted bars and it absolutely is easier on the bar and nose/tip.

manual oilers, my Grandad used to say, “Oil is cheaper than chains.”
Now days premium bar oil is expensive and chains not so much. The money you save using the cheap stuff will buy alot of bars and chains.
Although, I will say that when I was going through a ton of bar oil a year I never noticed decreased chain or bar life. The only problem I ever ran into with chains and bars is when cutting in below zero temps in deep snow. Occasionally a bar tip would go south. I also broke a few chains over the years, all on landing saws cutting skidded muddy logs.

Back