Possible cheap two stroke + bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The amount of hrs we got out of hard nose and sprocket bars running hydrologic oil was impressive. we used to buy it by the 44 gallon drum and saved thousands "bar oil" is expensive here.
I don't think wearing out bars is something to worry about for most provided they dress their bars and don't continue forcing an on fire smoking dull chain to cut that's what destroys bars.
Most on here have never wore out a bar in their lives.
Like I said previously, just about any petroleum oil around 10-30w works fine.

It appears to me that Harvest King is partially motor oil. Bar oil shouldn't have Zinc, calcium, or magnesium in it as it serves no purpose and is a environmental hazzard.
How can zinc, calcium and magnesium be hazardous to a natural environment that contains so much sphalerite, limestone and dolomite? Maybe also check contents of multivitamins and see what's in them and why--zinc, calcium and magnesium are all in there.

How can zinc, calcium and magnesium be hazardous to a natural environment that contains so much sphalerite, limestone and dolomite? Maybe also check contents of multivitamins and see what's in them and why--zinc, calcium and magnesium are all in there.
The zinc, calcium and mag we are talking about are compounds. We are not talking elemental zinc, etc. Pull up the msds of ZDDP and have a look for yourself.

The zinc, calcium and mag we are talking about are compounds. We are not talking elemental zinc, etc. Pull up the msds of ZDDP and have a look for yourself.
Okay, I did; appreciate the referral. To me it reads like the things that cause cancer in California. But I did have to react to the statement about the elements.

I had a 9 hour drive to do yesterday so got thinking about this in the boredom. I could say that hydrogen as the most common element in the universe and an element of water certainly is not dangerous; humans and trees are carbon-based life forms so carbon is okay, and we suck in an atmosphere of 78% nitrogen with each breath for a lifetime--and if I said they were harmful to environment or humans I'd get an 8 second George Carlin response pretty quickly.

But put them together as HCN and it is deadly.

Likewise, every element that goes together to make a human 'obviously' can't be harmful to humans...unless you make a Jeffrey Dahmer out of them.

I had a 9 hour drive to do yesterday so got thinking about this in the boredom. I could say that hydrogen as the most common element in the universe and an element of water certainly is not dangerous; humans and trees are carbon-based life forms so carbon is okay, and we suck in an atmosphere of 78% nitrogen with each breath for a lifetime--and if I said they were harmful to environment or humans I'd get an 8 second George Carlin response pretty quickly.

But put them together as HCN and it is deadly.

Likewise, every element that goes together to make a human 'obviously' can't be harmful to humans...unless you make a Jeffrey Dahmer out of them.

True. It is the compounds that determine toxicity, not just the elements. This is pretty obvious to those of us who are chemists or chemical engineers. But, though sodium chloride is relatively harmless except when taken in excessive quantities, I suggest avoiding ingesting or even touching elemental sodium.

Learned that the one and only time we used chlorinated brake parts cleaner for carb cleaner. BAD idea.
We got away from chlorinated brake/parts cleaner years ago. Read a story about a welder that cleaned off a bunch of steel with chlorinated brake clean and killed himself. Checked into it and found out it was possible, given the circumstances were right.

We got away from chlorinated brake/parts cleaner years ago. Read a story about a welder that cleaned off a bunch of steel with chlorinated brake clean and killed himself. Checked into it and found out it was possible, given the circumstances were right.
Supposedly welding over brake cleaner creates phosgene gas. I didn't know it was limited to the chlorinated product.

Supposedly welding over brake cleaner creates phosgene gas. I didn't know it was limited to the chlorinated product.
From what we found out it was just the chlorinated brake clean. May have been a specific brand as well. Can't remember for sure, I know we dropped getting any chlorinated brake cleaner after seeing the article.
Edit: yes, it's just the chlorinated brake clean that decomposes to phosgene gas. Non chlorinated brake clean doesn't contain the Tetrachloroethylene that breaks down into phosgene gas.

Back