Bar oil can

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogdad

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Any suggestions what to use for a bar oil container to put oil into the chainsaw oil reservoir without making a mess,,something with a spout or such..

I generally buy dedicated bar oil in gallon containers and cut a small opening in the foil safety seal. Experience will help determine the placement of the little opening and it's size. I would think if you bought it in quarts it would be fine to just tear the safety seal off. I have a few pre mix oil plastic bottles from 6 to 16 ounces (may hold more that is how much comes in them) stuff enough to fill a red plastic coffee container and take that.

I have one of these. Works good. Take the hose off it screws right on the jug and opens/closes with a twist. Not sure what brand name is. Works on quart and gallon jugs.

02ba3ec47821e15a8fba09d7e77f6158.jpg

I just fill out of a gallon jug but with some saws that's not possible. Most Stihls have pretty large oil reservoir openings which is what I typically use. On the Husqvarna 55, the hole is small but not under anything so I still pour from a gallon jug.

I have also used the gear oil nozzles on quart bottles but don't bother with those anymore.

I don't think I could tolerate having to keep track of a smaller bottle then refill it. I don't have any issues just pouring it off the gallon jug. The trick is opening the foil part way then adding an air hole in the top of the foil, just like opening a old can to pour the liquid from. I'll get a pic soon.

2.5l orange juice bottle with pop up Gatorade/powerade lid.
Supersize the washing liquid idea.

Unless I'm using a >90cc saw, that's enough for me in a day.

I also Get bar oil sold in a gallon jug then when it's empty it doubles as a gas jug. Then tie them together as you can kinda see in this photo, that way they're always together when I head out to cut
20151123_135617.jpg

I found the gallon laundry detergent jugs work REALLY nice, No squeezing, good control, fast, and they have the "drip recovery" spout... not half bad for gas either, but I prefer a stouter container for that.

No spill makes a 1-1/4 gal. translucent container that works great for bar oil. If you use one simply remove the screen from the nozzle with needle nose pliers and your in business.

Back