Bought a house and tree broke in half due to winds first night.. no idea what to do

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Straafe

Reaction score
I was planning on calling a landscaping business to try to learn something more about this, but it's Sunday and everywhere is closed.

Last night there were some heavy winds. I awoke this morning to find this small tree bending over and mostly cracked in half, but still barely attached, in my front yard. There was already a lot of tape on it, as if it had previously been damage and repaired.

Is this tree fixable? I didn't bring a saw and don't know if I should be trying to give this tree emergency first aid or if I should be cutting it down. Also, if it does have to be removed, should I leave the root systems intact in case they've grown around some sort of infrastructure or typically would one try to rip everything out?

I haven't ever been in this situation before so I am not sure what to do.

Here are some pictures
(Link to them here as well:)https://imgur.com/a/C5LBH
DAjxmJl.jpg

507ESCz.jpg

7jHUYOS.jpg

It looks gone to me. You might could straighten it up,tie it off and it might live but would always be weak and probably wouldn't ever stand on its own again. Since it's a young tree I'd cut it down and grind out the stump or dig it up and plant something else if you still wanted a tree there. With a new tree you wouldn't spend the next few years wondering when it's going to break again. But that's just my opinion. Good luck whichever way you head.

Thanks guys. Went ahead and sawed it up (luckily my SO had a friend of a friend who was willing to pop over and help). The stump is still sticking up 3-4 inches above ground, is it OK for me to leave it like that?

The stump is ok if it doesn't bother you. You can have it ground out or take a shovel and dig around it a little bit and saw it off just below ground level then you can back fill it and mow over it.

Thanks guys. Went ahead and sawed it up (luckily my SO had a friend of a friend who was willing to pop over and help). The stump is still sticking up 3-4 inches above ground, is it OK for me to leave it like that?

If you like the trip hazard.

Looks like about 20 minutes with a shovel, & you’d have the makings of only a bare spot in your new yard.

Another hour, & you could have it raked & sewn with something to keep the mud down over the winter.

Its either that or an edge restraint. I'm also wondering if the tree wrap was put on to cover up a major crack or damage on the trunk rather than protection from SW disease...

Here's an easy way to get rid of the stump with minimal digging,I saw it on a YouTube video.Dig around the stump a few inches down,drill a couple of holes in it with a cordless drill,soak it in vegetable oil for a few weeks,then put a bag of charcoal briquettes on it & light it up.Of course you'll have to attend it.Sit there with a 6 pack & relax!

Back