Brush Ape Makes his Stand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brush Ape

The Port Authority
Reaction score
I like sharp tools. No, I demand sharp tools. But nobody seems to listen. So what do you do then? Do it yourself.

The older I get, the less I like noise. I'll still grind chain, but you know in many respects filing is best. Most of all, it is almost silent. It reminds me of snapping green beans because your mind can relax and ya just get in the groove and do it. Filing chain on the saw has its drawbacks. Besides getting tired of handling the chain with a greasy torn up glove, it presents a logistic concern as with a bench mounted setup, you gotta flip the saw to get at the opposite cutters. And doing depth gauges, (more pain than gain on the grinder in the first place) requires switching hand tools and too much verification to really get it right with the saw dogged in a bench mounted vise. You only do them from the opposite side, the vise gets in the way---you know what I'm talking about. For a professional grade chain, some filing is always done after the grinding process anyway.

So I designed this jig and sent it along with a friend; a senior machinist who tends to cut pistons for me and such when I can get the old boy interested in a good plan......

The heart and soul of this baby is really the crank shaft for the drive unit which is a stepped and threaded section of steel dowel to which is mated a used drive sprocket for the chain pitch in question.

The crank is housed in this steel block which we line bored and pressed in a bushing. It has an oil hole now, but I will tap the hole for a grease fitting soon.

It is retained with a circlip which seats in an annular groove at the end of the shaft.

At first, I was going to mate it to a chain driven foot pedal to advance the chain, but settled on simplicity to keep the prototype moving forward. Later prototypes include plans for pedal-switched foot controller, then a arduino-based voice activated step motor with length limits programmed in.

I was also going to make a swivel base with a lock to do opposite cutters, but found that a rigid old pipe stand I made twenty years ago from recycled ductile iron pipe and plate from a 1945 Viking grain truck floor was more than adequate. Getting ready to bolt it to the concrete with Redheads.

Future plans include an improved length clamping mechanism. Now there is two 1/4-20 5mm allen caps through a slotted plate into a threaded block. Works OK.

And I'm gonna fab an inside spacer identical to the outer bar retainer plate with gaskets in and out so I can feed a grease fitting through the bar retainer plate with a gun and lube the drivers as I work.

I'm also fitting hooks to hang dull and sharp chains from the stand and developing ways to drop the bar into the stand to save shop floor space.

Nice work. And I appreciate self made tooling very much. I do have a question and please don't take it as I'm belittling your vise but how do you plan to keep the drivers from moving in the groove perpendicular to the rails?

I have one of Homelites chain vises and keeping the drivers secure from moving with the file is by far the best reason to own this vise.

Very, very nice! I like that a lot!
Thanks, Dude.

Nice work................. how do you plan to keep the drivers from moving in the groove perpendicular to the rails?

Thanks. I'm not having any problem churning out some razor edge on this setup. I can put a lot of tension on the chain which keeps it from rocking. Also, if I use a dedicated guide bar and take it out of the rotation from actual sawing use, I can tighten up the bar rails with the Silvey Bar Rail closer. This 20" Rollomatic on it has a 25" Rapid Super mounted. It will go up to 28" without installing a longer bar and the turning handle is still within comfortable reach.

I'm looking at using inverted channel bolted flat to the stand to improve on the frame of this rig. Right now, I'm a pretty happy chain sharpener as compared to before. This is gonna keep improving, though. Don't worry.

Great Job!!!

- To keep the chain from moving on the bar while filing, maybe have a stop like on the chain grinders? It you pull the chain forward it will flip up the fall down behind the cutters so when you are filing the chain will not move away from you.

- To make tighten/releasing the chain for quicker chain swaps, maybe something like a spring loaded chain binder?

_ Is the post adjustable height?

subaru door ,volvo s60 010.JPG subaru door ,volvo s60 015.JPG I must say i am impressed with some of your skills ,you get an atta boy from me today with a pat on the back .

edit ,would an adjuster like a car has for alternator or steering pump be any better than the 2 bolts you have to loosen ? like modify or build one of these ? for a tightener on the chain ? maybe a t-handle on end of the bolt ?

Very, very nice! I like that a lot!

X2.... Very well done..

wow what a set up. i hope you have a patent lawyer on stand by, that looks to be a potential money maker. really nice work

I have a Homelite410 chain vise, and I could see myself buying one of these as well. This one set permanently in the ground in my basement shop, and the little vise I have for G2G's and the like..

Neat idea indeed. :rock:

Seen a basic version of that on chainsaw repair site. Heck we got a whole thread on these things.

20131219_150211.jpg

And this one you can buy too. ChainMeister

chainmeister5.jpg

Latest posts

Back