Why does my Husky 345 outruns my 262xp and 272xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabb

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a strange issue which I cannot verify nor fix at the moment.

I have a:
- 345 with a 18" .325 X-cut chain
- 262XP with a 20" 3/8 X-cut chain
- 272XP with a 24" 3/8 SARP chain (don't know that brand)

I was cutting dry (dead) oak (22") and the 272 went pretty fine some first cuts (acutally taking down the tree) but after this it was having a hard job, also after shapening the chain in the right angle the same went for the 262 with the x-cut chain. The first cuts with the 272 made some nice longer chips as I like them,the 262 didn't do that much longer chips. Cuts were making black burning marks, it went too hot all the time, chain was sharp.

Today, as I left a part of the tree and was making birdhoused and used some slices for roofs and floors I used the 345 to make them from the pieces I cut with the 262 and 272 it was like; wow this goes easy and like a hot knife through butter. After 2 slices I thought; I want to see if it cut the rest of the tree and indeed; in notime I was through it and made some nice 22" pieces there without any dark burning marks. After this the chain seems to be less sharp indeed, empty fuel, no filing to see what happened after that and slight dark burningmarks started to exist when I sometimes didn't move the saw that fast enough on the dog (which I new and wasn't the biggest problem but I wanted to see the result). The 345 was cutting nice "blocked" solid chips.

So, at the end, I thought that my 272 an 262 are moving too fast. Even lowering the depth gauges on the 272 didn't change the saw behavior and you see you don't get a straigh cut as well, all rackers are the same size tho.

My 345 is the best saw I ever had, never gives up, is super strong and pulling all the time, 4-strokes nicely where my 2-series do too but there is a real difference. I don't know it's the 3/8 chain which behave much different but I'm wondering what goes wrong here. I even changed the racker angle from 30 degrees to 35 degrees to see if it was more agressive but it did't do much as well.

It seems that the 345 doesn't make my chains less sharp that fast where the other powersaw do with less production, it doesn't even go faster as well.

Any ideas as I'm running out and trust me, I'm pretty good on my chains as my 345 never has issues when I file it.

As fas as I can discover the rpms are really lower on the 345, I need to check the RPM's with my digital meter, I didn't do yet.

I agree, dead oak is really nasty but never, really never had issues with my 345 on any of it, always .325 chain and 18" bar.

I bet on my sharpening but even simpel with he right file, angle, etc from the dealer for the 3/8 chains, even sharpened with the electric sharpener, it doesn't work the way it should anymore. The issue with the electric sharpeners is that the stone form is changing so not the best option in my opinion, unless you have real damage and file after it again.

What I wonder; if the chains have been hot are they getting softer then ? As that is my experience since someone overheated a .325 chain once and I felt the same right away. The chain never was as before... and that chain did like 50m3 without sharpening at all; finally around 100m3 total but not as before anymore with sharpening.

How about you put some nice clear detailed photographs of the two bigger saws cutters on the chain- my guess is the gullets are nice and sharp but the top plates dull/damaged and rounded over.

Yes I need to make some and I know what you mean. I once had this on a chain, Oregon one on a 357 which had a compression issue so no pulling at all on high RPM's. Because I was thinking, the cutters are sharp but rounded as you say. I sharpened it with the electric sharpener/grinder and removed really a lot in an angle of 30 degrees but they rounded again very fast. In my opinion that Oregon chain was soft but also had been hot; high RPM's to make it some pulling but compression issue seemed to be the problem so you go back to that, but why rounded ?

What does make them round in such cases you think?

Are the saws oiling good?
If the bar/chain doesnt get enough oil the chain gets hot and stops cutting.

Im also guessing there's dirt in the tree, more so in the bottom part where you were using the bigger saws.

Oiling perfectly, no issues there also no dirt. The tree is clean as it can be; I took it down and the 345 had no issues with it at all.

IF, and thats a big if, the bars are all in good shape (no burrs, rails square all up and down, no debris jammed in anywhere, AND not twisted/warped, there's only a a few culprits:

1) poorly sharpened cutters (again, put up some good photos)

2) improper angle ratios to the depth gauges

3) both of your bigger saws are on their way out and need some rejuvenation.

In reality, it could be all three combined.

Also, is the carb tuned properly?

IF, and thats a big if, the bars are all in good shape (no burrs, rails square all up and down, no debris jammed in anywhere, AND not twisted/warped, there's only a a few culprits:

2 Bars are new, 345 and 262 both Tsumaru, chains used once. 1 bar (Husqvarna) for the 272 was slightly used, chain also but sharpened.

1) poorly sharpened cutters (again, put up some good photos)

Here you go, this what I can make for now after cutting which ended pretty hot.

Cutter rounds are not that deep (anymore) and the cutters start to round on the corners pretty fast. Much "meat" for change but I'm not sure of the chain is that good/hard anymore.
WhatsApp Image 2023-02-13 at 00.03.58.jpeg

This is how I mostly like the cutters and they go well on the 345 this way and really grab that wood. In my opinion that cutter is still too much angle up, like /
WhatsApp Image 2023-02-13 at 00.04.00 (1).jpeg

2) improper angle ratios to the depth gauges

Played with them now, made them (much) lower but no decent result.

3) both of your bigger saws are on their way out and need some rejuvenation.

262 newcilinder, pulling well, 272 also pulling well and original cilinder.

In reality, it could be all three combined.

Yes but the 345, no issues and used heavily.

Also, is the carb tuned properly?

Yes, perfectly. The 345 is lower in speed but I need to check it with my digital meter. The 345 is pulling more and rpm's go backup up - the way carburators on 4-stroke engines work on carter pressure - like when it starts to cut more heavy/grabbing deeper. I don't experience that with the bigger saws but the 262 does it also pretty fine but doesn't puts it's chain in that good, same for the 272 now so I say...chain sharpening. The first cuts on the 272 went fine, I think that chain is end of story there or I need to charpen it with file that makes it more round.

I like to hear more about depth as well.

Thanks guys!!

(if someone wants to know how my saws look like; I think pretty nice 🙂)

WhatsApp Image 2023-02-08 at 22.01.09.jpeg

I can see your 272 has a round chain with too much gullet.

Yes I need to be more "up" in that chain when filing. I neeto get a 3/8 guide. I don't use it on the .325 anymore as that one files pretty nice and easy.

Your 262 has a full chisel with too much hook. You can see the working corner is bent down making it dull. For softer wood that amount of hook would be ok I run mine like that. Try a filing guide to limit your depth

It indeed feels the cutters are flying over the wood because of this. The opposite happens with the 272, I need to be in between both.

Yes this will be indeed the way to go for now, I will get one for the 3/8. The chain is a Semi-Chisel, or Husqvarna packaged the wrong one, which I doubt, but could be possible.

I let know what happens, thanks!

2 Bars are new, 345 and 262 both Tsumaru, chains used once. 1 bar (Husqvarna) for the 272 was slightly used, chain also but sharpened.

Here you go, this what I can make for now after cutting which ended pretty hot.

Cutter rounds are not that deep (anymore) and the cutters start to round on the corners pretty fast. Much "meat" for change but I'm not sure of the chain is that good/hard anymore.
View attachment 1057431

This is how I mostly like the cutters and they go well on the 345 this way and really grab that wood. In my opinion that cutter is still too much angle up, like /
View attachment 1057433

Played with them now, made them (much) lower but no decent result.

262 newcilinder, pulling well, 272 also pulling well and original cilinder.

Yes but the 345, no issues and used heavily.

Yes, perfectly. The 345 is lower in speed but I need to check it with my digital meter. The 345 is pulling more and rpm's go backup up - the way carburators on 4-stroke engines work on carter pressure - like when it starts to cut more heavy/grabbing deeper. I don't experience that with the bigger saws but the 262 does it also pretty fine but doesn't puts it's chain in that good, same for the 272 now so I say...chain sharpening. The first cuts on the 272 went fine, I think that chain is end of story there or I need to charpen it with file that makes it more round.

I like to hear more about depth as well.

Thanks guys!!

(if someone wants to know how my saws look like; I think pretty nice 🙂)

Pretty much everything is wrong in those photos, including the shape and angle of the depth gauges.

Take a new chain and study it.

As has been said here many times, know how you want the cutter to look when you're done filing.

Pretty much everything is wrong in those photos, including the shape and angle of the depth gauges.

Take a new chain and study it.

As has been said here many times, know how you want the cutter to look when you're done filing.

You had a bad day didn't you ? Anyways, some people were more friendly then you and even helping.

I hope you will do better soon.

You had a bad day didn't you ? Anyways, some people were more friendly then you and even helping.

Just say it people.

Your chain filing skills are poor.

Raise a bur on the top and cut it away with a file and try again. It should be sharp to the top plate at the chrome edge never rounded over. the edge should be aligned with the top of the cutter.

The profile on your drags is terrible.

Look mate, your dealing with a bunch of helpful, blunt men. Most are very direct. No offence is meant and non should be taken. The fact is your sharpening skills are lacking by a large margin. We all had that issue at one point or another. Just takes time to learn how to do it properly.
There are very, very, very many threads dedicated to properly sharpening chains. The search function is your friend.

Latest posts

Back