Buying an Electric Chainsaw: Used Stihl E20 vs. New Makita UC4030

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Touch Connors

Reaction score
This is my first post so let me first say "Hello!"

I need to get a new saw and I'm being realistic about the level of my actual needs (homeowner, light landscaping and occasionally small amounts of firewood). I want an electric and I'd like to spend around $200, but I also want one that will last longer than one season. I've found two for $200: a used Stihl E20 and a new (well, factory reconditioned) Makita UC4030A.

I also did a search and saw repairs on the E20 can be very pricey. A new Makita likely solves that issue, but I know the Stihl is/was the top of the line. Any thoughts on which way to go or know of another good electric to consider? Thanks.

Poulan?

the newest poulan electrics get very good reviews on amazon and are a lot cheaper (as opposed to their newest gassers). I've never used one, just sayin'.... Husky makes an expensive electric as well. Stihl is supposedly going to have a quality battery electric.

Used plug in electrics, various brands of the cheaper kind, on craigslist are stupid cheap. I'd bet most of them just have incredibly dull chains. And you have to drain any unused bar oil out after use, they keep leaking. I got one for free just for taking it, a remington, and it cuts wood OK. Had to sharpen it, that's it.

Not only are the Poulan models chinese made, they're only made for light duty work. I'm not sure what the model# is but the Makita with a 12in Bar&Chain is supposedly design for heavy use.

81 bux shipped

Not only are the Poulan models chinese made, they're only made for light duty work. I'm not sure what the model# is but the Makita with a 12in Bar&Chain is supposedly design for heavy use.

I just looked on amazon, the poulan 400e four horse is 81 bucks shipped. And the reviews are almost all good, and allegedly got a consumer reports "best buy" rating.

To me, if you are going to spend 2-3 hundred, I'd just get a small gasser and be done with it.

I just looked on amazon, the poulan 400e four horse is 81 bucks shipped. And the reviews are almost all good, and allegedly got a consumer reports "best buy" rating.

To me, if you are going to spend 2-3 hundred, I'd just get a small gasser and be done with it.

You believe in the Easter Bunny too:msp_confused:Reviews should always be taken with a grain of salt. Good meat aint cheap and cheap meat aint good. The phrase "You get what you pay for" holds true for Chainsaws.

well, that's true

You believe in the Easter Bunny too:msp_confused:Reviews should always be taken with a grain of salt. Good meat aint cheap and cheap meat aint good. The phrase "You get what you pay for" holds true for Chainsaws.

--I was just throwing it out, yes, based on the reviews, specifically their newest model. Just as an alternative to the multi hundred dollar saws. A lot of times that's all you have to go on, other folks reviews....hmm..I've never owned nor even used a 372 xp, yet I wouldn't hesitate to scarf up a deal on a used one..based on reviews.

And the converse is sometimes true, just because something is expensive is not necessarily any indication of over all quality. Sometimes you wind up paying a premium just for the name..example, the cadillac "cimmaron". Was it ever worth a cadillac price? I don't think so....

Anyway, I have only ever owned and used two different electric chainsaws, an old craftsman with the original power sharp (which I loved and most folks here seem to indicate it was a POS..worked great for me for years though and sold it still running well and still sharpening the chain) and the remington I have now which I would class as adequate, that's it, adequate.

So far no one else seems to have any input on the asked for brands from any hands on experience.

The one electric I would like to try is the new stihl battery electric. We had a thread on it before, but it is like 600 bucks too. Outta my price range for a small saw... So..I repeat..anything over a hundred dollars light duty I would seriously consider just getting a gas chainsaw and learn to use it and maintain it, as opposed to paying large bucks for an electric one. Right off the bat with an electric saw, you'll need an additional fifty dollar heavy duty extension cord on top of the 200 dollar saw price if all you have is a normal small gauge homeowners extension cord. I'll say that from experience, cheap cords won't work with electric saws drawing serious amperage. So now you are up to 250 minimum for this electric saw of the better quality, and on up from there. You are now at real decent entry level gas chainsaw range, any of the major brands.

If going electric I'd go for a Makita with their decades of experience in electric power tools.

Did a quick google and our version is rated at 2000w which comes in around 8 amps with our voltage here. (240V/50Hz) so we can use standard leads.
Probably close to double that current draw for North American voltage.

And the converse is sometimes true, just because something is expensive is not necessarily any indication of over all quality. Sometimes you wind up paying a premium just for the name.

That's absolutely correct. Take Pedo-Killer for example. I got it for $66 shipped. I'd bet it could keep up with the Stihl MS200T. Probably could beat it too. The Stihl would end up costing almost 6x what I paid for Pedo-Killer.

Jumping on the electric bashing bandwagon...

I have had a few electric chainsaws, and I hate 'em. Dragging a cord around, specifically a heavy enough cord to handle the amperage draw kinda hinders the porability that makes chainsaws so versitile.

While I have no prcatical experience, I have been told that chainsaw chaps are of little protection with electrics because of the near constant torque...the fibers that stop a gasoline-powered saw will not bind up the sprocket of an electric, and it will keep chewing away through yer chaps. YeeeOwch!

I agree with what others have posted...get a low-buck Stihl or Husky, and be proud! Learn to LOOOOOVE the smell of 2-stroke! Buff-up them arms, cuz there's nothing better than a good chainsaw for a man to feel like a Chaps-wearing Wood Warrior!

And BTW...Welcome to ArboristSite...:msp_thumbsup:

Screw electric (unless your a big sissy, and you live at an apartment, and RARELY use a saw) Get an MS 250. It should be perfect for your needs, Small, Light, Easy to start, and powerful. 300 for a brand new one,
Just my .02 cents, Hope that helps.

Here's a link for all STIHL'S small saws.

Occasional Use Chain Saws - Mid Range Chainsaw Features | STIHL

Get R' Done.

I do not know about the Makita
I do know about the MSE 220 (E 20) and MSE 180

We sell and service lots to local saw mills (used to cut board ends).

Both with 18" bars, the MSE 180 uses a pico and the MSE 220 3/8.

Yes the parts for the E 20 / 220 are 2 - 3 times the price, BUT last that much longer.

Checking the brushes is easy and if not too worn out, you should not be able to wear it out.

BUT for your use I would suggest an MS 180 C-E (easy to crank $239) or MS 170 gas units.

This is my first post so let me first say "Hello!"

I need to get a new saw and I'm being realistic about the level of my actual needs (homeowner, light landscaping and occasionally small amounts of firewood). I want an electric and I'd like to spend around $200, but I also want one that will last longer than one season. I've found two for $200: a used Stihl E20 and a new (well, factory reconditioned) Makita UC4030A.

I also did a search and saw repairs on the E20 can be very pricey. A new Makita likely solves that issue, but I know the Stihl is/was the top of the line. Any thoughts on which way to go or know of another good electric to consider? Thanks.

I have both the Makita and the ms220e and the 220 wins hands down for power and speed. Both have mag parts in them. as far as servicing, the brushes are more easily checked and replaced in the Makita. The Makita also has variable speed the Stihl does not. The Stihl is made better but for most uses the Makita is probably wiser.

Late to the party, but I have 4 electric chainsaws and I love them for stuff in the city. Do a search for 'Philbert' and 'electric chainsaw' so I don't have to re-type everything on my smartphone.

Some guys have never used a good quality electric saw. Some guys' manhood is based on bar length or dB. Remind then that the first STIHLs were . . . (wait for it . . .) electric. No saw will do everything, but electrics can be a great choice in the city.

If you can find a Dolmar dealer you should be able to pick up that UC4030 in red for not much more than $200 new. Great saw.

Philbert

Last edited:
old Milwaukee

.........I have an old Milwaukee electric chain saw .I think it is 60s 70s model It has a cast aluminum body . I retro fitted a stihl 20 in bar on it . and im telling you you better hold on tight . I think every one should have an electric because in my location there are noise limitations. Meaning It might be too early in the morning ,for some or to late for others. I have worked on a tree @ 6am with my electric . and have saved hours of good work time , because of the no noise feature. My suggestion would be check all the second hand stores, check the rental outlets . We have all found diamonds ////it just wont cut good..the blade is on backwards. the switch wont stay working .. the cord is crushed . When you find the one you will never look back. Look up Milwaukee chain saw, it aint pretty, but it really cuts. ..........dave1

Late to the party, but I have 4 electric chainsaws and I love them for stuff in the city. Do a search for 'Philbert' and 'electric chainsaw' so I don't have to re-type everything on my smartphone.

Some guys have never used a good quality electric sa. Some guys' manhood are based on bar length or dB. Remind then that the first STIHLs were . . . (wait for it . . .) electric. No saw will do everything, but electrics can be a great choice in the city.

If you can find a Dolmar dealer you should be able to pick up that UC4030 in red for not much more than $200 new. Great saw.

Philbert

+1!

But mine is in Makita blue :D

Dolmar=Makita for those not informed.

Right off the bat with an electric saw, you'll need an additional fifty dollar heavy duty extension cord on top of the 200 dollar saw price if all you have is a normal small gauge homeowners extoension cord. I'll say that from experience, cheap cords won't work with electric saws drawing serious amperage.

Dragging a cord around, specifically a heavy enough cord to handle the amperage draw kinda hinders the porability that makes chainsaws so versitile.

Zog, you know that battery powered saws fall into a different class than corded electrics.

You guys are right that you need good cords, but you don't have to drag them all over everywhere. In the city I am never more than 100 feet from a 120v outlet. A lot of time I am cutting up stuff in a pile or at a saw buck near my garage and never walking more than 10 feet.

Most do-it-yourself guys have a 25 or 50 foot 12 gauge cord for use with a compressor, Skil saw, etc. that they can use. Since a lot of my electric OPE is double insulated (mower, edger, hedge trimmer , string trimmer, blower) I bought a 2 wire, 100 foot, outdoor rated, 14 gauge cord at Sears for under $25. Don't need the extra cost or weight of the 3rd wire.

Cost of the cord is a one-time expense. Cost of gas goes on and on . . .

As for cost, good tools cost more than cheap tools. The $200+ electrics are generally better than the $70 ones. For $250 I would rather have my Makita and an extension cord than a low end STIHL or Husky for city use:
- no gas to buy, mix, or go bad;
- no flooding or ethanol issues ;
- no fouled spark plugs or clogged air filters;
- no pulling on the starter rope - ever;
- switch 'On' / 'Off' - no idling between cuts;
- quieter for neighborhood use;
- no 2 cycle fog cloud;
- less vibration;

For use in the woods, of course a gas saw is the way to go. That's why I have more than one.

Philbert

Back