ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Carb tuning after muffler mod ms460

strawmyers

strawmyers

ArboristSite Lurker
Just tripled the size of the opening on my stock muffler can; and also added the dual port front cover to my ms460. I read several threads on here to try to prepare myself before doing this mod. Cut the tabs off the limiter caps. Put the high and low screws to a light seat, then backed off each one 1 1/8 turns counter-clockwise. Saw won't start. definitely seems like its flooding. I backed the low screw down to 1 turn, then to 3/4 turn. Backed the high to 1 turn. Its at least popping the decomp valve every few pulls, now; but still not starting. Thought I should check on here for advice before I go any further. I don't want to lean things out too far. Also, I did not touch the LA screw at all as I didn't see anything about that in the threads that I read. Should I be seating it and backing it off a certain number of turns? Thanks in advance for the help!

strawmyers

strawmyers

ArboristSite Lurker
La is your idle speed
Dry the plug and cylinder
Air it out should start at one turn out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I took out the spark plug to let the cylinder dry out, it looked pretty shot. Went to town and got a new NGK plug and reset both screws to 1 turn and it fired right up. I tweaked the LA screw to get the idle up to where the chain just started to advance, then backed it off 1/4 turn. Oddly, adjusting the low screw once its running seems to make no difference. I even turned it all of the way in to where it was seated and then to 3 full turns out and it didn't make a bit of difference either audibly or on the tach.

[edit] Wow, talk about a stupid mistake. I had taken that rubber grommet out earlier and had the H and L screw locations backward in my head. Figured I'd own up to the stupidity instead of just editing the original post. I'll get back to tuning and update when I get somewhere. Thanks again for the help.

strawmyers

strawmyers

ArboristSite Lurker
Okay, current idle is set around 3000. Got it to 4-stroke to just above 14000 and backed it off to 13750 where it 4-stroked steadily. Buried the 25" bar in a 30" maple trunk. 4-stroking stops in the cut and the saw maintains 10-11000 rpm in the cut if I'm not leaning on it. Allows me to lean into it; but then rpms drop to 8500-9000. How does that sound?