Caswell epoxy gas tank repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redoakneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Epoxy Gas Tank Sealer - Restoration Aids - Caswell Inc

Anyone ever try this on a plastic tank???? FWIW, I have talked to a few guys about plastic welding a seam on a tank and the majority say it won't work.

I know plastic welding a seam has worked for a few here, just wondering if this stuff is any good. This epoxy specifically states no polyethylene is used to make gas tanks, just not sure if I believe that ???? Does anyone know what kind of plastic the stihl tanks are made from???

I am more curious than desperate to find the right fix. Seems whenever someone tells me it can't be done I have to prove them wrong (unless it is my wife, she is always right).

3-M 8001 Weatherstrip and gasket glue...impervious to both gas and oil..!!
(What us old-timers used before silicon)

This stuff dries like concrete (hard to remove) and some folks add some JB-Weld on top of it (questionably needed..??)

Just have all surfaces really clean (with solvent) and roughed up with something...I use wet and dry sandpaper.

Used this for sooo many repairs over 50 years...can't remember - This stuff will almost fix a bad marriage..!!
:cheers:
J2F

This stuff will almost fix a bad marriage..!!
J2F

Guess I should've used that instead of JB Weld to fix my first two (failed) marriages. Well, naw, I doubt there was ANYTHING out there that could fix them. Some are just too big of #####es to bond! :D :D

Guess I should've used that instead of JB Weld to fix my first two (failed) marriages. Well, naw, I doubt there was ANYTHING out there that could fix them. Some are just too big of #####es to bond! :D :D
Well I did say ALMOST...LOL..!!

If anyone uses this...be prepared on several counts..!!

1) It dries REALLY hard and NO flexibility like silicone

2) It can be an an absolute MF'er to get off metal when dried

3) Try not to get on your fingers..very adhesive..!!!! - and if you do...get it off immediately.
- It won't hurt you...just that it's really hard to get off...no just wiping...use a a solvent like acetone..immediately..!!

I promise you...you will be amazed at what this can do...recommended many times on AS tank repairs.....Zero failure rate..!!

Not expensive..nor cheap....about $6-$8 a big tube that will last you for years....at any auto parts dealer..
J2F

3-M 8001 Weatherstrip and gasket glue...impervious to both gas and oil..!!
(What us old-timers used before silicon)

This stuff dries like concrete (hard to remove) and some folks add some JB-Weld on top of it (questionably needed..??)

Just have all surfaces really clean (with solvent) and roughed up with something...I use wet and dry sandpaper.

Used this for sooo many repairs over 50 years...can't remember - This stuff will almost fix a bad marriage..!!
J2F

wonder if it will work good on plumbers crack :D:D
over 50 years??? dang your old:msp_biggrin:

wonder if it will work good on plumbers crack :D:D
over 50 years??? dang your old:msp_biggrin:
Yeah..that's a "crack" that should get "sealed' for sure..!!

And yeah...will be 66 in just a couple months...seen...experienced...many things 50's to now..!!
J2F

Epoxy Gas Tank Sealer - Restoration Aids - Caswell Inc

Anyone ever try this on a plastic tank???? FWIW, I have talked to a few guys about plastic welding a seam on a tank and the majority say it won't work.

I know plastic welding a seam has worked for a few here, just wondering if this stuff is any good. This epoxy specifically states no polyethylene is used to make gas tanks, just not sure if I believe that ???? Does anyone know what kind of plastic the stihl tanks are made from???

I am more curious than desperate to find the right fix. Seems whenever someone tells me it can't be done I have to prove them wrong (unless it is my wife, she is always right).

Virtually all plastic fuel tanks are made from HDPE (high density polyethylene) and that includes Stihl and Husky gas tanks. One problem in using any kind of epoxy or glue on a plastic fuel tank is that fuel permeates the plastic and causes the bond between the epoxy or glue to fail eventually. The only permanent repair is to weld the tank. I use a Sealy hot air welder, with a freehand or manual process, but the are other kinds of welders out there.

Plastic fuel tanks:
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_tank#Automotive_Fuel_Tanks[/URL]

Identifying Plastics:
[url]http://www.plasticweldingandtools.com/plasticidentification.html[/URL]

Thanks for the help, may try both methods. weld from outside and sealer inside

What tank is this on? Husqvarna's tanks are two layers, you need to grind through the first seam to get to the bottom one, where Stihl is only a single layer.
The Husqvarna tanks seem to be a bit tougher than the Stihl tanks IMO.

Back