Chain preset tie straps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
I was looking at picking up some preset tie straps to reconfigure some chain I have. Are the straps for different brands of chain different enough to prevent using say an Oregon tie strap on a Carlton chain? Assuming the same pitch chain of course.

Ian

I think I found the answer in the Q&A under the presets that Bailey's lists. Only Stihl chain is different because of a different rivet size. For that you must use Stihl components.

The stihl is definately different. Some of oregon vs carlton are the same preset tie strap but some have different part numbers at least on the bailey's site at least in 0.325. What kind of chain, so as to avoid un necessary typing.

Mostly Carlton (as Bailey's RC) but it's a mixed batch. Probably some off the rack Husqvarna loops in there too.

You'll need presets (tie-straps with rivets pre-formed onto them) and tie-straps, as pairs. HTH

Seems like I was told once that you could reuse presets, but the time or two I've tried it didn't leave me with a warm fuzzy.

I have a bunch of 3/8 050 different brands.. I am diffently interested in a answer Also I am looking for someone to change the length- longer on a few chains I know its not " correct but I will never use 15-18 24" 84 dl chains and I would like some of it spun up into a couple of 32 chains if any one could point me in a direction...

Interesting, I have a bunch of 18" 3/8 50ga that I was thinking of spinning up into 84DL 24" loops. What are you needing? Maybe we could just swap.

Oregon pre-sets generally fit Oregon, Carlton, and Windsor chains of the correct pitch and gauge. They also fit most private label chains made by Oregon and Carlton (Husqvarna, McCulloch, WoodlandPro, etc.).

There are always exceptions, especially with some older chains.

Most Oregon pre-sets work with .050 and .058 gauge chains, since the drive links for these are both .058 at the top, and swaged down at the bottom for .050 chains. Different pre-sets are needed for .043 and .063 gauge chains, and for narrow kerf chains.

Again, there can be exceptions: I have run into straight gauge .050 drive links that would lock up with the standard Oregon pre-sets.

Philbert

Seems like I was told once that you could reuse presets, but the time or two I've tried it didn't leave me with a warm fuzzy.

I will re-use tie straps if they are in good condition, but the rivets on pre-sets are usually too messed up to re-use and get a good, spun head.

I would like some of it spun up into a couple of 32 chains if any one could point me in a direction...

It is always easier to shorten loops, because you just take out links.

If you lengthen loops, you not only need to match the 'donor links' (same pitch, gauge, brand, cutter type, kickback features, etc.), but match the cutter wear on all of the links.

Not a big problem if you have lots of identical loops. Otherwise, you start to identify how many variations there can be.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back