Chain Saw Diapers - Keep Your Cases Cleaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Some of the other threads talked about cases, so I thought that I would throw this in. Most saws either leak bar and chain oil, or have residual oil that drips off when stored, leaving a puddle in the case, or wherever they are stored.

After trying newspaper and paper towels to line the bottom of our plastic cases for several years, I started using oil absorbent pads, like the ones found in machine shops etc.

These hold a lot of oil, last a long time, and keep everything a whole lot cleaner, including the saw the next time you pick it up.

The ones I use are from the New Pig Company (www.newpig.com), and are their model MAT 415 (50 count) or MAT 403 (100 count) heavy weight pads. These are each 15" by 20" and perforated, so that they can easily be torn in half, and fit nicely inside the Stihl fitted cases and Husqvarna PowerBoxes.

I like the 'oil-only' ones as they let any water pass through, keeping it away from the saw (also like a diaper), and all the absorbency is used to collect the oil.

You have to buy a bunch, but they work out to 50 or 70 cents each, or less if you tear them in half. You can probably find other brands through Grainger, Fastenal, Safety Clean, or any mechanics' supply house.

Philbert

Oh please, do you really need to pamper a saw and its case that much? Thats kinda like guys who wash their truck beds out every time they get a teeny bit of dirt in them. I use my saws for work, I don't worship them.

Oh please, do you really need to pamper a saw and its case that much? . . . I use my saws for work, I don't worship them.

I knew that this comment was coming, and you are entitled to your opinion and perspectives. I just don't think that I need to get covered with oil each time I pick up a saw, or leave puddles of it behind where I set it down. The cases and liners work for me.

Philbert

Oh please, do you really need to pamper a saw and its case that much? Thats kinda like guys who wash their truck beds out every time they get a teeny bit of dirt in them. I use my saws for work, I don't worship them.
Reminds me of the time I was getting ready to play flag football. I was in the parking lot with my team getting ready. I had put my "spikes" on (they have to be plastic). I was near an F-250 with a diamond plate rear bumper. I put my foot on it to tie the laces and all of a sudden this guy on the field starts yelling. "Hey! Hey! Get your foot off my bumper!"

I couldn't believe it! He was worried about a diamond plate bumper. I looked into the bed and it was brand new. What the heck do you need pickup for if you are not going to use the bed?

Reminds me of the time I was getting ready to play flag football. I was in the parking lot with my team getting ready. I had put my "spikes" on (they have to be plastic). I was near an F-250 with a diamond plate rear bumper. I put my foot on it to tie the laces and all of a sudden this guy on the field starts yelling. "Hey! Hey! Get your foot off my bumper!"

I couldn't believe it! He was worried about a diamond plate bumper. I looked into the bed and it was brand new. What the heck do you need pickup for if you are not going to use the bed?

He's a "Poser".Lotta them around here.

Some of us believe in taking care of our tools. I think its a terrific idea, and I am going to buy some. And yes, I use my tools, not just bench queens.

Remind me to post a picture of my altar...A shrine of magnificense!!!:clap:

I consider the gas dribble and oil dribble marking my territory. Kinda like a dog and a fire hydrant. You outta see my basement floor.

I like it.

I don't have a garage,or a shop. My saws are stored in the house, my nicest in a case. When I pull them out to fondle them, and play with them, I can't have leaking oil on the carpet! Yes, I use them, and I will not put my saws outside!

I think they are due for some diapers, been using rags that don't look so good. They will look much better sitting on something made to absorb oil than an old T-shirt. Some of us do not have nice shops for our saws, I barely have room for firewood. I live on a side slope that is very steep, been thinking about making a spot for a small shed. Until then, I will keep my saws where I know they are safe. Call me a sissy if you want, I will still have my saws.

Mine are in the nice, dry, comfy temperture controlled basement. Couldn't bring myself to make them stay outside in a cold damp shed or garage.

Nothing wrong with taking good care of your saws, I take good care of mine too. I have found that a lot of times doing a quick clean-up on them after a day of cutting you'll notice things like loose bolts, etc... that you would'nt see if you did'nt take the time to go over them, so I think it's a good plan. Your diapers sound like an excellent idea!

I don't baby my saws but I do clean them often so I can see if there are any loose or broken bits , as far as the oil leaks ,I hate getting bar lube on me , then my clothes , then in the truck so I keep a good supply of rags handy so I think absorbent pads would be a handy addition .
:cheers:

I Pamper all my saws, Even the sthil 11av that gets used to cut trusses and demolition work along with fence posts. They get the bars taken off and cleaned with compressed air along with the cases being whiped down After every use. I dont work for any company and all my saw's i purcashed used at a fair price and only used 4-5 times per year depending. But i like to look at them as a dependable tool and also a investment and depend on there use when needed. Nothing ticks me off more then trying to get a job done and you dont have the correct tools to do it correctly or efficiently. I would think those diapers would be pretty nifty for people that keep em power boxes and such. Mine get to be stored on a wire shelf or when there going out get to ride in the old pickup..the seat does well to obsorb the oil, and the rust holes in the floor boards ensure a clean cab

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back