changing air fir system on husky 50 special

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck shelly

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi, have many of you changed the choke system on your husky 50 saws over to the later one screw type? if so, is it worth the time and cost? thanks, chuck

You mean changing the system to the internal choke carb instead of the external one that pushes the air filter against the carb horn?
I have thought of doing it myself, you might be able to get away with using the old top cover with a mod for the choke lever, and of course the other parts needed from the 51-55 style saws.

If all you are missing is the filter, I would just buy another filter - lots available on ebay. Otherwise you will have to change the carb to one that has a choke butterfly, then rig up a choke lever.

thanks guys, the one screw type is like what is on my 51. has one screw through the center of the air cleaner. the 50 style looks like it snaps on? the 50 didn't come with the air cleaner.
:oops: You know, up until you pointed it out, I hadn't realised there was a screw attaching the 51 filter to it's base. I've never actually seen a 51 or 55 but I should've looked more carefully at the IPLs.

Pre-1989 I fitted a few original 50 Ranchers with Partner 5000+ cylinder and piston, Husqvarna 44 HDA carburetor, air filter & filter mount and 244R choke lever (slightly straightened the metal part of the lever and filed a slot in the back of the top cover for it to protrude through). All that fits under the original top cover but I don't know if the 51 type does.

:oops: You know, up until you pointed it out, I hadn't realised there was a screw attaching the 51 filter to it's base. I've never actually seen a 51 or 55 but I should've looked more carefully at the IPLs.

Pre-1989 I fitted a few original 50 Ranchers with Partner 5000+ cylinder and piston, Husqvarna 44 HDA carburetor, air filter & filter mount and 244R choke lever (slightly straightened the metal part of the lever and filed a slot in the back of the top cover for it to protrude through). All that fits under the original top cover but I don't know if the 51 type does.
great feedback guys, you know I might be better off just buying a filter for it and call it good. the top cover is pretty rough, soooo. I found a used gray cover for 24.00 plus 11.00 shipping. these saws are addicting and fun. thanks, chuck

Back