Check this thing out if you have a lot of small diameter wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeing wood pieces that small reminds me of a phone call I got one day. A neighbor's 13 y/o son got a chainsaw for Christmas a few years back. He loved to cut with it. They dropped several 8" sugar maples and kid went to work cutting them up. He got to keep any $$ he got for firewood he sold. First he cut it to 16", then he noodled anything 2" or larger, then he cut the 16" down to 8, and the 8"to 4". What to do with the mess at that point. He had a 2 stall garage 3 feet deep in saw dust and tiny firewood splits. His dad wanted his garage back, it was mostly saw dust so no one would buy it. To help the dad out, I paid the kid $50 for six heaping 8x14 trailer loads. I had to load it with a shovel onto the trailer, and then shovel it into the OWB. Worst $50 I ever spent.

I like it a lot. Would be curios to see what the finished product was intended for.

You see quite small wood pieces all the time in the european vids. I am guessing now, they go into ..small heaters! Energy costs are high in euro land and as such a lot of the homes there are very well insulated..they just don't need huge mass quantities all the time.

And forests are protected and regulated, they don't waste wood. Their woodlands are treated like big gardens.

Like a lot of their rides, 40-50 MPG vehicles are common there. Same deal, high gas and diesel prices.

You see quite small wood pieces all the time in the european vids. I am guessing now, they go into ..small heaters! Energy costs are high in euro land and as such a lot of the homes there are very well insulated..they just don't need huge mass quantities all the time.

And forests are protected and regulated, they don't waste wood. Their woodlands are treated like big gardens.

Like a lot of their rides, 40-50 MPG vehicles are common there. Same deal, high gas and diesel prices.

Will add, there homes are much smaller, and in the east, even apartments have a wood heater in them.

They don't have high gas and diesel prices over in EU/east of, the price is insane. How does $8-12 a gallon sound to you?

I always wondered how pellet fuel was made.

If you sat the machine in front of your stove, you could just open the door and start feeding the cutter logs. When the stove was full, just close the door.

I have a good friend in Croatia... He heats water with an "in the house" wood fired boiler, but it's an hi-tec one and uses small wood. He fires it twice a day on cold days, it heats stored water and then pumps it through pex all through his house...

He's says it's VERY "efficient" and gets all the heat out of the wood...

SR

I want one, truth be told, it is a fast and low fuel use way to reduce a lot of brush in a hurry. I could make one that would spit out 12" long pieces and have no trouble selling them as firewood to older folks that don't like big pieces of wood.

Mr. HE:cool:

My morso stove takes 8" splits- friend calls them "toothpicks"- nonsense, they're much too thick. Point is, they make it difficult for the stove to dispose of wood. Using more than 2 cords/season is a challenge. Wood fuel is a valuable resource in W. Eur.

Down here in Louisianna when they cut timber here now nothing goes to waste, on site chippers turns everything that is not desireable for pulp wood or lumber into fuel, I mean every twig, leaf. Now they have a crew that goes in and cut and chips all underbrush before they cut the trees and then after trees are cut they chip all tops limbs, I mean they don't waste anything now days, most of time the underbrushing only pays about $1.50 per ton, makes just about enough usually to cover the cost of reseeding the seedling which cost $ 94.00 per acre, I know that for sure because I just planted 180 acres of my own.

With a little tweaking and resizing, that thing could be great for the ironwood here, seldom big enough to split, but awesome in the stove. It's just a lot of work to get a cord of it with a saw.

I'm having a strange urge to build stuff...

looks like it could be used for bio mass or a wood gassification set up. i remember reading an article in mother earth news i think it is of a guy who did that. had an old dump truck rear axle with paddles welded to the wheel. he would feed the wood into that to make 1-2" chunks while it was spinning. he then let them dry on the tarp in the sun and used them to gassify for fuel.

All "Great comments"; I do try to use most of my tree top trimmings & small twiggy stuff for starting fires when I got to start from scratch. A frequent occurrence in Fall & Spring. The last time the power line tree crew was on my place; I had them leave me 2 truckloads of the chips they made off my place and folks down the road. It's good tinder & trail/path cover. Also for helping fill in a ditch in the east end of my hay field. I like the "Waste not Want not" philosophy of material things:D

I wonder if that 10hp chinese diesel would run a single side shear wheel through 4" oak? 38" diameter would work for 8 blades to chunk out 16" lengths.

With a little tweaking and resizing, that thing could be great for the ironwood here, seldom big enough to split, but awesome in the stove. It's just a lot of work to get a cord of it with a saw.

I'm having a strange urge to build stuff...

Just make a rack, or pound in some t posts (proly hard to do that right now...) fill it with those narrow diameter logs, and lay on with a big saw and a big bar.

Back