chipper reduction rate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm going to be renting a 6-8" chipper this week. What sort of reduction rate should I expect for the chipped material like brances and such. 10:1 or what?

Different material chips differently. Wood will actually occupy more space when chipped. Brushy material will occupy considerably less space, as all the air space is displaced. I am sure you were looking for a concrete answer, but brush is not concrete. Typically tree mulch weighs about 1000-1200 pounds per yard, depending on moisture content, wood density and type of chipper(sharpness of knives).

I think that was well put Tree climber. Rental shops are notorious for not sharpening blades so check or if you dont know how to check, if you arent getting chips in the 1/2 inch range you are probably dull. This doesnt apply to cottonwoods. After thinking a little I am guessing you are cutting down that Japanese Maple. You should get 1/2 chips out of that. Hopefully they will rent you a Morbark. Since this might be your first time using a chipper, keep in mind that when they say 6" chipper it usually only handles 2/3 that continuously. I remember my first time renting. I burnt the clutch up for the rental shop. It cost me my time too though. Have fun. I know work isnt fun, but I always enjoyed that work.
Darin

Actually, I'm chipping mainly "ghetto palms" is that right name? And some pines. Mostly brush. I'm clearing out a new growth area with mostly .5" - 2" caliber saplings.

Yeah - what they said above. My brush chipper would reduce brush about 10 to one, I guess. I never really chipped much wood (Fuelwood here is easy to get rid of), other that one half dozen times where I rented a diesel disc (gaser once too) and blew them onto the ground in land clearing jobs. That's too much like work for my body now, though.

I guess you are blowing them into a trailer or other vehicle. A pitch fork works well to shovel them out - better than a shovel if you have to handle them.

Back