Clear these woods with an MS170..... SAY WHAT?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agent Orange

Hacktastic®
Reaction score
Company owner sends me to their farm. These people have Gators, Argo, Bobcat, Boats, Grizzly 4 wheelers, New Holland tractor, and everything under the sun. Umpteen 1000 s of acres with paths and roads leading to hunting blinds. I get sent out to make clearings for shooting lanes and tree thinning. Chainsaw----MS170, two of them and a battery powered Stihl.o_O

No bar oil to speak of, owner says use 10-40. Air filters are clogged, beat em clean the best I could. Lord knows what the mufflers look like. No files either. Hedge, Oak, Black Locust, and a tree I couldn't ID that was harder to cut than any other hardwood I've been into.

I WORKED MY ASS OFF TODAY AND EARNED EVERY DAMN SCRATCH.:cold:

Told the owner he needed a real saw for maintaining the farm, well see where that goes.

Anyone care to recommend a proper Stihl for farm use? I know there's other brands but they are loyal to the local dealer who sells Stihl and all the toys they buy. So its gotta be a Stihl. I'm buying a file tomorrow no matter what, and bar oil.

Finished the day by teaching my son's Bear Scout pack knife safety and carving bars of soap.:chop:

Company owner sends me to their farm. These people have Gators, Argo, Bobcat, Boats, Grizzly 4 wheelers, New Holland tractor, and everything under the sun. Umpteen 1000 s of acres with paths and roads leading to hunting blinds. I get sent out to make clearings for shooting lanes and tree thinning. Chainsaw----MS170, two of them and a battery powered Stihl.o_O

No bar oil to speak of, owner says use 10-40. Air filters are clogged, beat em clean the best I could. Lord knows what the mufflers look like. No files either. Hedge, Oak, Black Locust, and a tree I couldn't ID that was harder to cut than any other hardwood I've been into.

Told the owner he needed a real saw for maintaining the farm, well see where that goes.

Anyone care to recommend a proper Stihl for farm use? I know there's other brands but they are loyal to the local dealer who sells Stihl and all the toys they buy. So its gotta be a Stihl. I'm buying a file tomorrow no matter what, and bar oil.

Finished the day by teaching my son's Bear Scout pack knife safety and carving bars of soap.:chop:
362CM with a 20" bar. Now go take a nap:havingarest:

Thanks for the suggestions. The 362 and 390 look promising. I'll suggest them to him unless he wants to buy the 441 they have. I own a little MS250 and it puts in work, I plan on taking it tomorrow. I'm going loathing using that MS170 any longer. They're good little saws, but not at all suited to the work at hand.

Um...a Farm Boss?

I would argue for at least an MS250. It will have enough power to pull the bar if you keep the chain sharp and have some patience. My guess is that with them only having 170s, the price tag on a 271 or 291 will be an immediate turn off...they have 2 170s for a reason.

If a 170 did the job obviously you dont need a ton of power , if you want another light stihl saw that cuts circles around a 170 take a look at a 241 if he can stomach the cost..if it doesnt have to be a stihl look at a dolmar 421..as well as husky 445s and the red counterparts...ton of choices buddy.

If a 170 did the job obviously you dont need a ton of power , if you want another light stihl saw that cuts circles around a 170 take a look at a 241 if he can stomach the cost..if it doesnt have to be a stihl look at a dolmar 421..as well as husky 445s and the red counterparts...ton of choices buddy.
I could also get the job done with a bow saw. The 170 was a whipped dog all day, yes it "worked" but so do McDonalds employees.

I'm aware of other brands, they buy from one dealer, that dealer sells Stihl. They have plenty of money so stomaching the cost is giving the receipt to the accountant for a tax write off.

Hope I'm not coming off rude. A little more power would make life easier on me and the equipment.

I could also get the job done with a bow saw. The 170 was a whipped dog all day, yes it "worked" but so do McDonalds employees.

I'm aware of other brands, they buy from one dealer, that dealer sells Stihl. They have plenty of money so stomaching the cost is giving the receipt to the accountant for a tax write off.

Hope I'm not coming off rude. A little more power would make life easier on me and the equipment.

Not at all , if they love to spend money a 241 or 261 would be my pick.

I about lost a finger to a sharp Swiss Army knife and a bar of soap back in the Cub Scout days! I think I was trying to carve a fish and of course my Mom gave me a cheap bar of soap which happened to be the most rock hard bar of soap ever made.

Latest posts

Back