Converting a 038S to a 038 M....part I

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got finished getting an OEM 038M cyl to fit on a 038S case.

The base of the cyl has enough room on the case so no grinding of either was needed to clear the case. I WAS concerned about this because Stihl mentioned that grinding the case was sometimes necessary when fitting a 038S cylinder on a 038 case (NOT what I’m doing here but similar). This is the first one of these I’ve done so keep it in mind, it MIGHT not be a general theme......

The bolt pattern is a little tighter on the 038S than the 038M, more so front to back than side to side. Thus you need to grind (slot) the holes at an angle as the hole differences are greater apart front to back than side to side (e.g. not 45o}. I ground the slots for each hole by ca. 0.045” (front to back) and ca. 0.025” (side to side). There are still plenty of surfaces between the slotted holes and the bore (0.20”) for the base gasket to get a good seal (stock for a 038M was ca. 0.25”).

The outside cyl area just above where the bolts seat also needed to be ground back to allow the bolt heads to clear the cyl when being screwed in. I did this by grinding, and the slotting of the bolt holes, with a Dremel tool and carbide bits.

In one of the four holes it was difficult to get the T27 torx driver through the cylinder fins and into the bolt head. I opened up all the holes through the fins slightly with a 7/32 file (readily available! you can speed this up by chucking it in a drill or just drill them out if you have a drill press).

I did not do this work, at work, so a Bridgeport to slot the bolt holes/drill, would have been nicer, but is not needed. You really just need a Dremel and proper bits to take back the cyl surface (vertical surface that interferes with bolt heads screwing in) so the bolts can seat against the cyl base and to the slot the holes themselves, a 7/32 file will fix the T27 torx clearance, slot the holes (base at the cyl/case) with the Dremel.

In fact you NEED the Dremel to get the bolt heads to fit. One more thing, a dial caliper (0.01”) to compare/measure original cyl holes to where you grind the slots. It’s about a 2:1 ratio length (front to back) to width (side to side) that you take in grinding the slots. No rocket science here! The cylinder now bolts right on!!!

P.S. sorry I don’t have pictures. It’s not together yet as am putting together the odds and ends for a good work saw (i.e. ground the bar rails level/square at work using the 90o belt grinder (nice but abused 20” Sthil ES bar……). I will when I can then compare this with another conversion using the Tecomec 038M cyl assy. On another 038S……

P.P.S. When I do get pics it won’t be a “pretty boy saw” , e.g. all painted all up and you can eat off it…….I’m going to work it!, all internal will be spotless before assemble though. Best M.P.!!!

Yep!

but quit telliing the guys they DON'T need a BRIDGEPORT! I'm over CAD, but deep into BAD.... :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
I just got finished getting an OEM 038M cyl to fit on a 038S case.

The base of the cyl has enough room on the case so no grinding of either was needed to clear the case. I WAS concerned about this because Stihl mentioned that grinding the case was sometimes necessary when fitting a 038S cylinder on a 038 case (NOT what I’m doing here but similar). This is the first one of these I’ve done so keep it in mind, it MIGHT not be a general theme......

The bolt pattern is a little tighter on the 038S than the 038M, more so front to back than side to side. Thus you need to grind (slot) the holes at an angle as the hole differences are greater apart front to back than side to side (e.g. not 45o}. I ground the slots for each hole by ca. 0.045” (front to back) and ca. 0.025” (side to side). There are still plenty of surfaces between the slotted holes and the bore (0.20”) for the base gasket to get a good seal (stock for a 038M was ca. 0.25”).

The outside cyl area just above where the bolts seat also needed to be ground back to allow the bolt heads to clear the cyl when being screwed in. I did this by grinding, and the slotting of the bolt holes, with a Dremel tool and carbide bits.

In one of the four holes it was difficult to get the T27 torx driver through the cylinder fins and into the bolt head. I opened up all the holes through the fins slightly with a 7/32 file (readily available! you can speed this up by chucking it in a drill or just drill them out if you have a drill press).

I did not do this work, at work, so a Bridgeport to slot the bolt holes/drill, would have been nicer, but is not needed. You really just need a Dremel and proper bits to take back the cyl surface (vertical surface that interferes with bolt heads screwing in) so the bolts can seat against the cyl base and to the slot the holes themselves, a 7/32 file will fix the T27 torx clearance, slot the holes (base at the cyl/case) with the Dremel.

In fact you NEED the Dremel to get the bolt heads to fit. One more thing, a dial caliper (0.01”) to compare/measure original cyl holes to where you grind the slots. It’s about a 2:1 ratio length (front to back) to width (side to side) that you take in grinding the slots. No rocket science here! The cylinder now bolts right on!!!

P.S. sorry I don’t have pictures. It’s not together yet as am putting together the odds and ends for a good work saw (i.e. ground the bar rails level/square at work using the 90o belt grinder (nice but abused 20” Sthil ES bar……). I will when I can then compare this with another conversion using the Tecomec 038M cyl assy. On another 038S……

P.P.S. When I do get pics it won’t be a “pretty boy saw” , e.g. all painted all up and you can eat off it…….I’m going to work it!, all internal will be spotless before assemble though. Best M.P.!!!

I know this post is 11 years old, I have searched and only find part 1, sure would like to know how it turned out?

I know this post is 11 years old, I have searched and only find part 1, sure would like to know how it turned out?

It turned out fine, runs strong. I think I posted other details? Been a long time. Others have since done this so there are other threads too. I didn't do port work or squish on this one. Randy/Mastermind might have done a hot rod version, as I recall.

1) You need to slot the cyl holes to fit the case. Use a 038S base gasket as a template. Install w/038M gasket. A file or dremel works

2) The cyl bolts heads will be too tight up against the cyl to seat properly. You need to grind a bit out (dremel) or turn down the bolt heads outers

3) The holes in the cyl fins need to be opened up a bit to let the t27 torx fit well, a chain file will do this, chuck it in a drill

4) The ex port on cyl is wider. Match up the muffler. I started with a dual port muff. I didn't port but polished ex port. The inner cage on muffler I opened up with a few 5/16 holes, some remove this cage. On the outlet I opened up both outlets to the point I could just still use the spark screens.

5) The 038 had a smaller carb. The 038S Tilly and 038M Bing are same size. I tried both and they tuned the same, ~1 1/4 out on Hi and low 1200' elevation. Parts for Tilly cost less.

I have not tried this with a 038 case. Shop manual says putting a 038S cyl on 038 case may require some filing on the case surface. This might be more so with a 038M cyl

Hope this helps. 038M parts are plentiful but the smaller ones getting scarce

Some more notes.

The P/C was NOS OEM Mahle.

I replaced seals/gaskets/fuel line/ gas filter/ air filter/impulse w/OEM

The oil pump got new gasket, o-ring and seal. Gears were fine.

The carbs I used got kits and cleaned. I think I have the Bing on it now.

I trued up the bar w/belt sander and new RS chain/rim sprocket. Original clutch/bearing was fine, as was intake boot.

About a month into using it it got a bad miss in the cut. The AV mounts were worn and it pinched the coil wire/short. New mounts and fixed the wire.

It is running fine to this day, as strong/stronger as my well used 038M.

Latest posts

Back