Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Cow ate my tree!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Helper Forum' started by nathancmartz, Jul 12, 2018.

1. nathancmartz

nathancmartz New Member

So i came home from work to this today. We have some cattle in a lot with our cypress tree. Apparently it was tasty! My question is is this tree going to make it? is there anything i can do for it? This is the largest cypress in our county. I really hate to lose it! IMG_0460.JPG IMG_0458.JPG

Attached Files:

2. JeffGu

JeffGu Antagonist/Heckler

It will probably survive this. Let it heal up on its own.

I'd suggest a very sturdy fence around it. Cows and horses will chew on almost anything... wood, urethane foam, rubber mats, plastic buckets. They're not fond of metal, however. Fence will have to be spaced away from the tree a little further than a cow can reach. I'd suggest about four feet out from the trunk.

Jed1124 likes this.
  3. Jed1124

Jed1124 Addicted to ArboristSite

Like it was previously said leave it be. It will probably be fine. Shoot the cow and make burger out of it.

4. husqvarna257

husqvarna257 ArboristSite Operative

You could put a guard around it to prevent any more problems. But as said it should survive it.

5. CacaoBoy

CacaoBoy ArboristSite Member

Yeah. Cattle like variety in their diets. A few years ago a determined steer got through the fence protecting some young royal palms and was nibbling fronds. The wife saw it and ran at him screaming, waving her arms wildly, and slapping the 1000 lb beast. The poor guy was terrified and leaped clean over the fence. Ever after that day, even as he grew to be 1800 lb, when my wife was around him you could see him thinking "be careful not to piss off the crazy lady" and he was very well behaved.

Guards around trees are important not only to keep cattle from eating trees but also because they put a lot of weight into their small hoof-prints, and that can damage the roots of many trees. Try to keep the cattle at least 3 to 4 feet away from the trunk.

Jed1124 and JeffGu like this.
  6. Huskybill

Huskybill ArboristSite Guru

If it doesn’t make it build something. A boat? A new kitchen table? I hope it lives.

al-k likes this.