Crosscut saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solo

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a simonds 503 crosscut. I'm hoping to make a vintage racesaw out of it. Is there anyone else who plays around with crosscut saws on here?

I have/had a bunch, but am on my phone so can't post any pictures. Search member 'ATsawyer' and you should find some good info in his posts. There was one about 6 months ago on sharpening.

Ive been picking up crosscuts for about 3 years now when i see them at yard sales and junk shops.
Got a nice little collection going.
NOS Curtis One man
A couple Disston Two Man
A few Warranteed Superior Two man

Ive been using Household 3 in 1 oil for some light derusting of a few of the blades....
Anyone have better ideas for bringing these blades back to good condition

A few of the ones I have/had:

Yardsalesaws005.jpg

Had some hand saws too:

Yardsalesaws006.jpg

And some bow saws:

Yardsalesaws007.jpg

Yardsalesaws008.jpg

Crosscut saws are no substitute for chainsaws when cutting up firewood, but if I'm doing trail work or some other long hike/long haul to clear a specific tree, I'll almost always take a crosscut. The few extra minutes I spend crosscut sawing are nothing compared to the time spent getting to the tree and the weight of all that chainsaw gear I get to leave behind.

Ive been picking up crosscuts for about 3 years now when i see them at yard sales and junk shops.
Got a nice little collection going.
NOS Curtis One man
A couple Disston Two Man
A few Warranteed Superior Two man

Ive been using Household 3 in 1 oil for some light derusting of a few of the blades....
Anyone have better ideas for bringing these blades back to good condition

I was told to use oven cleaning brick from a cooking store.

Also check out the illustrations (later post in that thread) from Leonard Lee's book about new tools that you can easily improvise. An A.S. member generously sent me one of the short jointing/file guides, and they can be found on eBay for $$, but these look pretty effective and easy to make.

Philbert

P.S. this is a flea market find from last summer. Have picked up a few off of CL, and there are some that look OK on eBay - hard to tell from photos - that have gone for reasonable prices. Hope to keep one or two to clean up and play with when i get some time next spring/summer, then send the others back out into the marketplace. Not looking to start a collection, but would like 1 or 2 that work without gas!
Crosscut.jpg

Short but quality video by college students. Nice sound as the saw sings through the kerf:

[video=youtube;ne2DKpU8n-8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne2DKpU8n-8[/video]

I have a few cross cut saws, a 4 ft one man, a 5 ft one man, a 5 ft 2 man that was used as a topping saw back in the day, and the newest addition a 6 ft 2 man saw. I like to recondition them and sharpen them so they can be put to use. Mine are all lance tooth saws made for the PNW softwoods. They cut nice! I am still looking for a source for the American Pattern Crosscut file. So far I have been using Simonds Cant Saw file, and it does well. A Cross Cut file would be better, as you can use it to deepen the gullets if your teeth are getting short. Simonds has it in their catalog, just maybe need to break down and order a dozen, so I can have one or 2 on hand.

Looks like a good company. Are they selling Simonds, or do they have their own brand?
Thaks for the link!

Back