Cs490 lean it out or switch to 50:1 mix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeeptrekker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ive put about 12 tanks thru it since new w/ a mm and retune. so I pulled the muffler just to see how things looked inside. Piston looks good and there's little build up on the exhaust port. But it is a bit oily I'd say.. would you call this normal or should I lean it up more or maybe switch from 40:to1 to 50:1 mix. I left it a bit rich during the break in and have leaned it out a little but figured I'd ask here before messing with it further as it starts easy, idles nice and cuts to my liking. KIMG3206.JPG

What does the plug look like? and what oil are you using at 40/1 looks a little rich but i usually look at my plug also....

What does your user manual say? I bet it says "50:1 when using a JASO-FB or higher rated oil". Even Stihl has started to print that. ;)
I don't understand why you people feel the need to run such rich oil/fuel premix: the only thing you'll achieve is to fatten the bank account of the guy selling you the oil. This is 2020 and lubricant technology has gone ahead a tiny little bit since 1990, when Castrol A747 and TTS were the only decent premix oils and cost an arm and a leg.

What does your user manual say? I bet it says "50:1 when using a JASO-FB or higher rated oil". Even Stihl has started to print that. ;)
I don't understand why you people feel the need to run such rich oil/fuel premix: the only thing you'll achieve is to fatten the bank account of the guy selling you the oil. This is 2020 and lubricant technology has gone ahead a tiny little bit since 1990, when Castrol A747 and TTS were the only decent premix oils and cost an arm and a leg.

Exactly.
The only thing it's not FB but FC/FD for this engine.

If your 490 doesn't 4-stroke in wood and you like the way it's running, I'd run it.

This is my first brand new modern saw...all the saws I'm accustomed to using 32:1 or 40:1 and are pushing 40+ years old. Figured a fatter mix would make it a little easier on the internals while I was breaking it in. Like cam break in oil for a fresh rebuild on car engine. Didn't think that made me "you people" just erring on the side of caution. Maybe try the decaf.
Plug is a little oily but it's running good not four stroking in cut. Which was why I figured maybe instead of screwing with the tuning try less oil in mix. Thanks for everyone's help. Oil used is either echo red armor with non ethanol 93 or VP canned fuel.

This is my first brand new modern saw...all the saws I'm accustomed to using 32:1 or 40:1 and are pushing 40+ years old. Figured a fatter mix would make it a little easier on the internals while I was breaking it in. Like cam break in oil for a fresh rebuild on car engine. Didn't think that made me "you people" just erring on the side of caution. Maybe try the decaf.
Plug is a little oily but it's running good not four stroking in cut. Which was why I figured maybe instead of screwing with the tuning try less oil in mix. Thanks for everyone's help. Oil used is either echo red armor with non ethanol 93 or VP canned fuel.

I have a 490 and I use premixed 40:1. I agree oils are much better but at the same time companies have to find ways of meeting epa regs these days. I believe that's one reason why most state 50:1 instead of 40:1.

Just my thoughts. 40:1 gives me peace of mind.

Dont worry about it. Run what you like, just make sure you adjust the carb properly. I run 32:1 in all my saws and use a good oil and have no problems. I dont care what the manual says about oil ratio. If the other guy wants to run 50:1 let him. In the mean time I will continue to be one of those "you people".

I figured i was fixing something not broke but figured I'd ask here for little better peace of mind... Appreciate all the info. I was looking for a 500vl but after seeing so many good comments here I got the 490. It's been a workhorse for me and I can't say enough good about it. I just picked up a 590 and going to start the mm and retune in between hanging some axe heads.KIMG3209.JPG

Of the 45-50 saws I have, I think I have 7 Echo's. My oldest is a 1970. When we were running 32:1 in our Homelites and Macs, Echo was calling for 50:1. So, if Echo has been calling for 50:1 in their saws since day one, I'd run 50:1 in them.

Hmm interesting I did not know echo
has always been 50:1. My 302s gas cap says 32:1 on it. Good to know...
Maybe ill grab a can or two of the red armor 50:1 and see how it does.

I run red armor 40-1 but i run my saws hard when im working on the ground any ways....if im in a tree i take my time .....I would not sweat it.....

I don't think it matters one bit, just keep them tuned good. Steve
I agree, I run 50:1 in all of my two stroke stuff. The old stuff that called for 16:1, run just fine on 50:1. I just wanted to point out that over 50 years ago, some manufacturers were calling for 50:1.

Just purchased a reconditioned Echo 490 at Home Depot for $85. It was clean and does not look like it has ever cut anything. They had several other echo saws that were smaller, that I might pick up later if they go on sale any more. Just a heads up, the Home Depot guys have a data base that they can look up all the recon stuff tin their entire district. In addition I did not get an owners manual. So was wondering if there was a trick to starting this beast.

You have 490.....no primer.

Flip switch up to on, pull choke all the way out, pull rope until it wants to start, push choke all the way in, pull rope and put in wood.

If it doesn't start, take back.

Latest posts

Back