Decoding Stihl Bar Numbers, What's Compatible?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somesawguy

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My dad has a 025 that I've been working on for him. It needs a new bar. The stihl chart recommends a 3005 000 4713 for a 16" bar. Now the bar on my MS290 is also a 16" but is a 3003 002 7013. What's the difference? Does it matter?

As a side note, with all the dead saws out there, you would think there would be a glut of used bars and chains out there for sale. I'm hardly seeing anything that isn't close to full retail. Why is that?

The 3005 bars have a smaller slot for the bar stud or studs. Pretty much match the first four digits and have the correct chain and drive sprocket for the bar nose sprocket (assuming it has one) and drive link thickness.

I would hope a powerhead can wear out a few bars. What you see regarding pricing is most likely a Stihl product thing. If you were to want to sell a Stihl bar a used one things might not turn out that way though.

My dad has a 025 that I've been working on for him. It needs a new bar. The stihl chart recommends a 3005 000 4713 for a 16" bar. Now the bar on my MS290 is also a 16" but is a 3003 002 7013. What's the difference? Does it matter?

As a side note, with all the dead saws out there, you would think there would be a glut of used bars and chains out there for sale. I'm hardly seeing anything that isn't close to full retail. Why is that?

The Oregon mounts are AO74(3005), and DO25(3003)

Check with Leftcoastsupplies.com they have some really great deals on GB bars in AO74.

A majority of those little bars can easily be made to interchange with a little filing from a round chain file. As long as the oiler holes line up you're good to go.
Most shops have a rack of used bars in the back if you ask. Call around.

Back