Deep thin 8mm socket to remove nuts of air filter baffle on a MS261?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekc

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
They just can't make it easy.
My 8mm deep socket has a OD of 11.75mm. The hole is 11mm.
Where do I find a 8mm thin wall deep socket that has OD no more than 11mm?
Or how else do you even remove those two 8mm nuts? The workshop manual doesn't mention a special tool.
2015-03-16 22_23_41-MS261 Service Manual.pdf - Adobe Reader.jpg
IMG_5053.JPG
IMG_5054.JPG
IMG_5055.JPG
IMG_5057.JPG

In a situation like this I would buy a cheap "donor" socket (if I didnt already have one).
Chuck it up in a cordless drill, either buy using your 1/4" extension or using a 1/4" drive adapter.
Than take it to your bench grinder and turn it down a little until it fits. (with your drive spinning slow so it removes the same amount of material all the way around)

I have had the baffle off an ms261 and my socket fit ok, it was tight, but it worked. My socket must have had a thin enough wall to work. Try finding a cheap socket somewhere as they usually are not made as heavy, so will have a thinner wall. Good Luck.

A search on Fleabay will probably come up with one the Chicom brands while probably being cr*p quality wise would do that job probably get a complete set of 9 or so sockets for less $'s than a single better quality one

Another couple of options to check on.
1/4" drive sockets are usually thinner walled and work great for such areas.
8mm socket driver, most of the assembly factories with the smaller hardware like this use battery powered impacts preset torque and calibration checked.

Get in to your local tool shop. I bought a 1/2" and a 1/4" that both fit the narrow/deep 8mm bolts on stihls for a few bucks each. You need these not just for the muffler bolts but also for the bolts that hold the plastic housing under the air filter if you're getting access to the carb on some saws.

Also could try a 12 point 1/4" drive socket ........... they tend to be thinner walled

I used the cheap 1/4" socket, and turned on my grinder method. A few minutes later, I had a custom tool in my box that I often use. Pulled the socket out of some cheapie set I had, and it didn't even cost me a drive to town. :dancing:

The socket in that picture is thick. I use a little snap on at work for 8mm and at home I have a thin chrome craftsman set. Some brands use the same blanks to make multiple size sockets and it tends to make them end up thicker... Just stop by an auto parts or two and you'll find a thin 8mm. That's needed on lots of car jobs.

Or grind one down.

I use a Craftsman socket......fits perfect......but I turned a cheapo socket down so we'd have two. One for my spot at the bench, and one for Jon's.

aaaannd how long till we have a vid link to someone test-taching an unloaded impact wrench
with various sockets.
We'll expect to see a corded model with a volt and amp meter in line with it.
A temp gun on the gearcase for grease temps correction factoring, thermometer in the air slots of the housing, etc.

think I'll jus shaddup before I get any more ideas that I can't afford!

In a situation like this I would buy a cheap "donor" socket (if I didnt already have one).
Chuck it up in a cordless drill, either buy using your 1/4" extension or using a 1/4" drive adapter.
Than take it to your bench grinder and turn it down a little until it fits. (with your drive spinning slow so it removes the same amount of material all the way around)

That's a bojang way of doing it.. the right way is to put it in the lathe and turn it down. (OK, I know desperate times call for desperate measures :) )

I've usually found cheap sockets and wrenches are really thick walled, since it's the only way they get strength out of the lousy steel they use.

If you go to a Snap-on or something you'll find it'll probably fit just fine

Do what redfirdown says, good tip thats exactly what l had to do. My Wiha would not fit, stanley 1/4" socket is too thick but if you find a cheap plastic cordless drill box that has all the cheap chinka torx/socket bits, grab out the 8mm and go bo bench grinder. No bench grinder...use your chain grinder....no chain grinder....use your depth gauge file....no file...use sandpaper and six pack of beer.....no beer...go jump off a cliff!

Back