Desintegrated 028 flocked filter fix idea?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Wellman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
First I did some searching on AS and came up with the fine mesh fabric bag thing. It works, but not very polished and I can hand it over to the customer. new After market filters are 30, the saw is only worth 175-200 in great shape. I am looking for a fix to the two part flocked filter that is now just a course mesh with flox remains on it. i was thinking oil foam filter on the inside the two halfs. Remove the rest of the flocking and cut out a piece of form fitting foam, oil it and then to sandwich between the top and bottom cover. Any one try this yet. The integrated choke and the two attachement nuts in the filter may be tricky to shape around.

Just put a new filter on it and be done with it. Too much ineffective farking around to be worth it on these saws. The 028 with a new filter on it will still be running 20 years from now if there is still gasoline available to run them on.

Yeah, I was trying to avoid the obvious

Just put a new filter on it and be done with it. Too much ineffective farking around to be worth it on these saws. The 028 with a new filter on it will still be running 20 years from now if there is still gasoline available to run them on.

You are correct but I was hoping some others had some creative ideas even if the bottom line was a new filter.

You already mentioned the choke and linkage problem and when a foam filler is used in a sandwich style airfilter the carb can only pull air through the foam in a very small area about the size of the carb venturi, this small spot soon becomes clogged with debris. The big hollow style filter like the one on the 028 allows air through to the carb all over its flocked surface to enter the hollow insides of that filter box, thenit finds its way to the carb venturi.

Hate to say it but he is right. That said just go to your crafts store and get some felt. They sell it in cut small pieces, sheets and rolls. You will need glue or a hot glue gun. Problem solved for all air filters. I only do this for "ungetable", new word :), air filters of any type.

New dictionary entry

Hate to say it but he is right. That said just go to your crafts store and get some felt. They sell it in cut small pieces, sheets and rolls. You will need glue or a hot glue gun. Problem solved for all air filters. I only do this for "ungetable", new word :), air filters of any type.

"Ungetables" but try this "ungetableist"

Used in a sentence "The air filter for the very popular "Double eagle vintage muscle super si Hd ported magnum chisel skip big bore pop up chainsaw", was extremely rare if not impossible to find, it was the most "ungetableist".

Top that Merriam Webster!:msp_thumbup:

I use dust masks tucked around the clapped out filters on some of my saws. Seems to work, cheap by the box. No cleaning needed, just chuck em out, put a new one on. I mean, thats what a dust mask is designed to do. They make different grades, so just try to match the porosity of a new filter, if you could look that up somehow. I dont hot glue mine on, as they get replaced, and the screw tension seems to work OK for the seal.

No idea if that would be considered proffessional or not to a customer, but they might like the idea of cheap in the field replacements, give em a handfull to go with the saw when it is returned to them.

if the saw is a flipper, keep an eye out on ebay for a good used one if you are trying to maximize profit.

I was looking at it from a professional stand point. The customer needs to see something that looks like it belongs there. I use dust masks on my portable air compressor and other tools. It came with a piece of trash foam and they just suck. The dusk mask is the ultimate in filtering vs the trashy cheap ass ol recycled cut-off extras from cheap ass knock offs from the discount store furniture :) and stuff. Go buy a filter.

Dollar store pantyhose clippings and a hot glue gun if you're in a pinch, definitely a new filter if you're looking to sell it. It doesn't take much to pull the AF cover off of an 028, and it takes even less to be turned off to a matchbook filter repair on a supposedly top tier saw.

this is for a poulan 2800, but you get the idea.
2z73f48.jpg

25u2wzs.jpg

this is the mesh. same stuff i get from work. very fine, very strong and flows very well. no dust, none gets past.
WOVEN WIRE MESH STAINLESS STEEL 325 MESH 12"X12" FILTRATION | eBay

clean off any flocking thats stuck in or on the plastic 'frame' of the filter. use a good hot soldering iron (glue doesn't work as good) to melt the plastic just enough to get it to come through the mesh.
6nt9js.jpg

trim it up nicely and go cut wood.
took a half hour for both sides.
this is for a filter that you can't get anymore. for the $30ish bux it costs for a new filter, do that.

Back