Best Filter Type, Flocked or Mesh?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChillyB

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I figure to treat my new-old 55 to an air filter. I see two types: a flocked fabric looking box and a mesh screen type. What are advantages and disadvantages? Are either or both cleanable?

Mesh is usually used in winter and less dusty conditions .watch using the mesh cutting in dusty conditions it is a poor filter.In my opinion the flock is your best bet.You can wash both out let the flock air dry mesh you can blow out with low psi air.

I can run mesh filters here in NS as its damp being near the ocean, get lots of rain or snow depending on the season. Have run mesh filters year round on big clearing jobs on my 044`s and 026`s cutting live green wood, sharp chains creating chips not dust. A mesh filter allows more air through them for my ported saws. If I were working in a dry dusty area or cutting dry dead trees then a flocked filter would be my choice as the mesh filters will allow very fine wood dust through them into the carb . It just comes down to what conditions one is running the saws in.

The mesh is easier to clean but the flocked ones filter better. I've seen OEM mesh and flocked ones for sale, but mesh filters don't seem to be available in aftermarket.
Interesting to note that the 50 filters were fine mesh and medium mesh, necessary because the filter was part of the choke set up and needed to flex.

As per every
I figure to treat my new-old 55 to an air filter. I see two types: a flocked fabric looking box and a mesh screen type. What are advantages and disadvantages? Are either or both cleanable?
saws manual.............mesh filters are for winter use, and the opening of the heated air shutter.
Flocked filters are for normal, warm weather use, when more dust is generated.

Back