ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Dirty Hand Tools half beam splitter.

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by Jmick, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Jmick

Jmick New Member

Hi all, new to this forum.

I have about an acre’s worth of cut trees that I need to cut up and split. I’d like to get my self a splitter so I can get this done a little quicker than doing it by hand, like I have been. I’ve been eyeballing this little splitter by Dirty Hand Tools. Does anyone have this one that would care to comment on how it is? I can’t seem to find many reviews/videos on this one, like I can on the full beam splitter.
    I have a snow blower by them with the Loncin engine and it runs great. Thanks.

Attached Files:

farmer steve likes this.
  2. farmer steve

farmer steve outstanding in my field, 5150

Welcome to AS @Jmick . To be honest i never saw the DHT half beam like that. I was able to run a DHT 25 ton 2 years ago and it ran great. @DHT is the sponer of the firewood forum and maybe can give you some input. Good luck.

3. JoshNY

JoshNY ArboristSite Member

I have seen half beam splitters in use, and they seem to perform fine. The main issue I have with them, is when it is time to replace the cylinder, there wont be as many options and the cylinder will cost more than a standard full beam splitter.
    I have seen the DHT full beam splitters at Lowes and they look pretty well designed and built well. Not a commercial quality splitter but would last a homeowner many years.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

farmer steve likes this.
  4. Jmick

Jmick New Member

Thanks for the info guys.

5. Mustang71

Mustang71 Addicted to ArboristSite

My dad just bought one of these mostly because of the price. It was like 600 something plus tax. I might have done some research on the half beam first. He has yet to use it and I'm sure I'll try it out next spring. I'm just happy he bought it and not that pile from harbor freight. We were borrowing one of those for a bit and it worked good but I've read that they need work after a couple years.

6. VirginiaIron

VirginiaIron ArboristSite Operative

DH has a pretty good reputation and many manufacturers seem to be utilizing this design to reduce and avoid shipping weights, I guess. Seems pretty practical to me even though it looks odd.

7. Mustang71

That's what I told my dad when he said he was going to buy it and that by I say I'm glad he bought that over the harbor freight splitter. We split mostly ash and I do 90 percent with my fiskars so I'm sure it will be a fine splitter for our needs. Thay being said I'll be on the look out for a used splitter for myself so I dont have to borrow my dads.

VirginiaIron likes this.
  8. Rabm03

Rabm03 New Member

I just purchased that same one through e-bay one week ago. It quit after using it once. No spark. DHT had me take it to a small engine shop in my town and the guy said he had never heard of DHT. He told me it would be a long time before he could look at it? I'm thinking I might of made a bad decision? I'm hoping not!

9. Mustang71

Sounds like a bad mechanic. I have heard that DHT has top notch costumer service and they are a member of this sight. No spark on a small engine should be an easy fix for any small engine mechanic.