do i need a new gasket for the cylinder or can i use the old one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurtty

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hi im taking apart my 371xp to put in a new piston ring but i when i ordered the new ring i forgot to get a cylinder gasket i was wondering if the old one looks like its in good shape can i use it? or do i have to order a new one?

Get a new one they are about $2.00. You can reuse them but why take a chance on it leaking?

well the reason is because there is no dealer around here. i have to order it and im going on vacation for two weeks on the tenth so i probably wont see any gasket i order for close to a month.

If it's in good shape and you put it on the same way it came off with a very thin smear of liquid gasket material , it will work fine. I use Hylomar HPF, but most types will work well for this application.

Yes, we are not working on the space shuttle here.............

I am a gasket re-using redneck from wayback...................
But if you want a new one, I will sell you one...................

well i think ill go for using the old one along with the liquid gasket stuff. and if it leaks ill just order a new one and use the leaky one untill i get the new one.

I bet it won't leak. I often leave the old gasket (if in good shape) in place because some can be a BIT?H to scrape off the crankcase. Never had a problem.

I bet it won't leak. I often leave the old gasket (if in good shape) in place because some can be a BIT?H to scrape off the crankcase. Never had a problem.

ill keep that in mind. i havent poped the cylinder off yet but i probably have time tomorow.
thanks for the help. :clap:

Back