Do you sell firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would check out the super splitter. I have one and the damn thing is fast. It's cheap 3k new. Light weight very good on gas(6-8 ricks of wood on a single tank) And they are very fast.

Scott

Scott, I checked out the videos, it looks like a sweet machine but how does it handle the "ugly" pieces of wood?

It does ok. It will split them but you have to hit them a couple times. I have a separate (cheap 20ton) hydraulic splitter for the real bad ones. This is a great production splitter if you use it right. I have split 30 inch elm with it. It did it but I have to read the wood and wok from the edges.

Scott

Tw-5

I have one with the log lift and a 4 way wedge. It's awesome and will run on a tank of gas long enough for you get tired of splitting. I've split wood 16" X 38" with it, knots, limb unions, etc. Not saying it will split anything, I've gotten it stuck many times. Hit the chunk with a mall or cut into it with a chainsaw to free it. Reposition and hit it again. The log lift will pick up a piece WAY too big to handle safely. I have never loaded it enough that it would not lift the piece I put on it. Expensive? Hell yes, but a well thought-out machine and with two people will crank out wood fast enough to keep both busy.

Beaver :clap:

All the people who are advocating the sale of firewood by tree services, I have a question.

If a customer asked this question tell me what your answer would be..........

Will you come to my house and take down these trees?....YES!

Will You also bring your splitter and split the wood while you are here and leave it for me?..................?????????

All the people who are advocating the sale of firewood by tree services, I have a question.

If a customer asked this question tell me what your answer would be..........

Will you come to my house and take down these trees?....YES!

Will You also bring your splitter and split the wood while you are here and leave it for me?..................?????????

My answer is Yes, for "X" more dollars and for "Y" dollars we will stack it nice and tight too.

How many more dollars? Same price as they going rate in your area for a cord delivered?

That is what i basically run it off of. Here and there people will be like well i can pay that price, and a few more bucks and get it delievered here and its seasoned.

At that time i say, yep you can but one thing your not realizing is...hey you can do that but then its gonna cost you to remove the wood from your place we just cut up.

In the long run its going to be cheaper to have us split and stack it for _____$'s. Anyways you will be already for winter, or next winter.

Something along those lines.

That is the same view that I had when I first started working in the tree industry years ago and have always found enough money in it to keep me going. A lot of the time I would only do it when I didn't have any tree jobs to keep my guys busy for a day or two here and there or if they wanted to make a little extra money on the side. Since then it has grown to a huge business for me and now we are in production year round.

Here in Texas most people burn green wood if it's cut during the winter but other than that my firewood stacks don't take up much room since I run them against fences so they are out of the way.

I was in the firewood business from 1982 to 1993 in Dallas and nobody wanted green wood then if they could get seasoned. Nobody on my street burns green wood.

Up here in jersey i sell about 20-30 cords a year. I get the wood delivered to my house for free. I split, drive it to another location to stack/dry and deliver from there in the winter time. The winter of 08 i'm hoping to sell around 30-40 cords. I sell at 220 a cord and 120 for a 1/2 cord.

I sell wood. Dont make a living at it, but use it to supplement the winter slow time. Last yr (06/07) I sold prob $2500-3000. This yr was way less but I had a storage issue for quite some time so I wasnt able to keep as much early on.

I get $65-85 per rick (1/3 cord) depending on mixed or oak. When the weather is nice, ill deliver it. if the weather sux azz, its come-n-getit. I decided that last yr when i was delivering wood in the snow and ice. Not worth the risk of an accident.

Boston, to answer your question, i try to get out of splitting on site. i have had a couple of people ask and ive told them they can hire my guy afterhours and pay him cash. Ill rent them the splitter for $X and they can pay him. One guy just rented the splitter and did it himself. most people just ask to keep the small stuff that doesnt have to be split.

I was in the firewood business from 1982 to 1993 in Dallas and nobody wanted green wood then if they could get seasoned. Nobody on my street burns green wood.

That's the difference in people from the city and country, I see it all the time but it's mostly the old farmers that want green to go with a little seasoned to get the fires started.

We run a TW-6 and love it, I have three guys cutting, carrying, and splitting nonstop. They average 6 cords in an 8hr work day with all the breaks and refueling.

We rarely get request to split on site but a few every year request it. I give them a price for however many chords they want, the price is always my wholesale price since I don't have to transport the wood.

Last edited:
What I am getting at is this, and it WASNT my idea I just like it..............

Alot of guys around here WONT split on site. Too much work to move the splitter etc etc etc. :dizzy:

BUT

They will take down the trees, haul the logs to their site, pay a guy to split it, pay taxes on the property while it seasons, then haul it back to that SAME site. But yet it is more of a pain to split on site? :confused:

What I am getting at is this, and it WASNT my idea I just like it..............

Alot of guys around here WONT split on site. Too much work to move the splitter etc etc etc. :dizzy:

BUT

They will take down the trees, haul the logs to their site, pay a guy to split it, pay taxes on the property while it seasons, then haul it back to that SAME site. But yet it is more of a pain to split on site? :confused:

That's the part of it that I have never understood about some of these guys, I would love to split everything on site and leave it there. Any splitter weighs less than any tree worth splitting not to mention the size.

If you can get the same price for the wood as you bring the tree down that you get for seasoned wood less a little in fuel cost then any good business person would go for that one because it's the same amount of profit.

Answer

I just give away my wood now but it's always green. I'm thinking of selling my firewood. Does anyone else do this? I have a splitter already but not the space to age the wood. Just wondering if it's lucrative enough to be worth my time. This would be in the California Bay Area where the whether is only cold enough for about 6 months. I can't imagine there being much of a market for wood especially during the summer months.
I have found in selling firewood there are two kinds of sellers. Part time who what ever they thru the winter and then go do something else in the summer time I do it full time I am retired and I make a comfortable living. You have to market firewood for summer and winter. My wrapped wood Xmas I wrap it in green and red
Just one way of doing full time. The first year is to stock pile. Then you are ready the second year. Don't get in the place were water runs out of your truck on delivery

might sell too

I used to sel firewood out of my partents back woods years ago. Wish I had never stopped. I just did a black locust job and dropped some wood off to a freind who needed wood and instead of a 5 or 10 bill He gave me $50 for a full pick -up load of unsplit wood. I think I need to rethink this possibility.. Now if I just had the place to store the stuff. Thanks .

Info

I see your not full time me and my buddy in the other part of the state he beat me last year by $13.000.00 we run in close to a $100.000.00 a year so don't say there is no money in firewood.
We make what you do sometimes in a day. You get full time and treat your customer good you can make ore than a comfortable living. Later

Info

I sell fire wood year round people buy it and let it cure all summer. I live in the heartland in Southern Illinois.good luck later

Latest posts

Back