Do you work with a bunch of drunks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was just a rip at the AA types is all. The sober ones become like the born agains all too often, next they start trying to convert others.

But yeah, I hear ya on the moderation thing, and you are right there.

I didn't do the AA thing but I sure don't have anything against it.

I didn't do the AA thing but I sure don't have anything against it.

I do. Its a horrible brain washing cult that causes more confusion and misery than good with its lies and falsehoods... they even force you to go if you should be unfortunate enough to get too many dwi's. lol.

Thats another story though....

I do. Its a horrible brain washing cult that causes more confusion and misery than good with its lies and falsehoods... they even force you to go if you should be unfortunate enough to get too many dwi's. lol.

Thats another story though....

Your story? just wonderin' If so, hope you are doing ok.

I do. Its a horrible brain washing cult that causes more confusion and misery than good with its lies and falsehoods....

I went to an AA meeting once. Talk about a miserable bunch. They seemed pretty convinced that it made their lives better though so more power to 'em. It's all about moderation. The people at AA put so much weight on complete abstinence that when a member screws up and has one drink they're convinced it's the end of the world and wind up binging their way off the deep end.

I went to an AA meeting once. Talk about a miserable bunch. They seemed pretty convinced that it made their lives better though so more power to 'em. It's all about moderation. The people at AA put so much weight on complete abstinence that when a member screws up and has one drink they're convinced it's the end of the world and wind up binging their way off the deep end.

Yeah, and unless you are in AA, it doesnt matter how long youve been sober, you are still considered a "dry drunk". I love those corny little sayings and the gay hand holding too "works if you work it". lol.

Unfortunately I have been forced to listen to my share of that inane drivel... I'm convinced its for the simple types.

That is not accurate information Blakesmaster but I suppose it happens sometimes. What brought you to the meeting?

Anyway at the risk of being labeled the type you mention above.....and more power if anyone can moderate drugs meant to loosen inhibitions and control.....watched the movie Crazy Heart last night just for the expected music.

Typical story of the Drunk...looses his fam, ruins their lives and many others including his own and his health....sobers up....and all is good (better). If I could only explain all the time lost in my life thinking I was having a good time or going to have a good time and in reality it was just based on the theory of having a good time remembered from way in the past (or tv commercials).

Don't remember maybe even ten percent of the "good times" I had. Domestic fights, street fights, bar fights (once wrote down around a hundred of them), occassional jail involvement, all pretty easily forgotten when it comes to "Miller Time" again. :cheers:

That is not accurate information Blakesmaster but I suppose it happens sometimes. What brought you to the meeting?

Anyway at the risk of being labeled the type you mention above.....and more power if anyone can moderate drugs meant to loosen inhibitions and control.....watched the movie Crazy Heart last night just for the expected music.

Typical story of the Drunk...looses his fam, ruins their lives and many others including his own and his health....sobers up....and all is good (better). If I could only explain all the time lost in my life thinking I was having a good time or going to have a good time and in reality it was just based on the theory of having a good time remembered from way in the past (or tv commercials).

Don't remember maybe even ten percent of the "good times" I had. Domestic fights, street fights, bar fights (once wrote down around a hundred of them), occassional jail involvement, all pretty easily forgotten when it comes to "Miller Time" again. :cheers:

Its more of a maintenance plan here than all that drama... I hear you though, and you're right. The old ways die hard for some of us. Hopefully eventually I'll figure it out.

How old were you when you finally put it down tv??

2 DWI's w/in 10 years in NY state will put you in a world of ####.

Never got into fighting or anything crazy while drinking but I guess that can happen to some. I just got caught a little over the limit 3 years back after playing a show at the local watering hole. That caused the state to label me a drunk, took away my license for a year, threw my ass in jail, made me attend meetings, cost me well over 10 grand and put me on probation for 5 years. Not that I condone driving after having 5 beers but the punishment was a bit extreme in my opinion.

In hindsight, it was for the best. It gave me a reason to quit the band and the nightlife and focus on growing a real business which is currently doing quite well. And, I learned moderation, but that happened on my own as my business became too time consuming and tiresome for any late night activity.

And that's the problem with the AA crowd. They ( for the most part ) have replaced wasting their time on a barstool with wasting their time in a folding chair. Their lives are no better, they're just biding their time on this planet a different way, which is sad. 90 meetings in 90 days? Sorry, I have a life. Higher power? Um, no thank you. AA isn't a cure, it's another drug. Focusing on not drinking is just as bad as focusing on drinking. You're still not accomplishing anything. Focus on something that makes you happy and enriches your life, eventually drinking won't matter so much.

Its more of a maintenance plan here than all that drama... I hear you though, and you're right. The old ways die hard for some of us. Hopefully eventually I'll figure it out.

How old were you when you finally put it down tv??

Around 40 and I was going full bore til then.

Never got into fighting or anything crazy while drinking but I guess that can happen to some. I just got caught a little over the limit 3 years back after playing a show at the local watering hole. That caused the state to label me a drunk, took away my license for a year, threw my ass in jail, made me attend meetings, cost me well over 10 grand and put me on probation for 5 years. Not that I condone driving after having 5 beers but the punishment was a bit extreme in my opinion.

In hindsight, it was for the best. It gave me a reason to quit the band and the nightlife and focus on growing a real business which is currently doing quite well. And, I learned moderation, but that happened on my own as my business became too time consuming and tiresome for any late night activity.

And that's the problem with the AA crowd. They ( for the most part ) have replaced wasting their time on a barstool with wasting their time in a folding chair. Their lives are no better, they're just biding their time on this planet a different way, which is sad. 90 meetings in 90 days? Sorry, I have a life. Higher power? Um, no thank you. AA isn't a cure, it's another drug. Focusing on not drinking is just as bad as focusing on drinking. You're still not accomplishing anything. Focus on something that makes you happy and enriches your life, eventually drinking won't matter so much.

Oh man, you know you want some of that fine AA pooty. :laugh:

I hear your point but like I said I passed on the AA but witness it all the time thru family and employee and friends.

What I see, unlike the desperation you describe, is a totally separate society that interacts with and supports each other. They have a great time with dances, parties, Superbowls, UFC watching, BarbQ's etc. etc....., anything anyone else does. They just all do it together and they do it sober.

Me, I pretty much just hang out with you guys, ride my mcycle with some friends, play racquetball with leagues and work and be with the fam.

I hear your point but like I said I passed on the AA but witness it all the time thru family and employee and friends.

What I see, unlike the desperation you describe, is a totally separate society that interacts with and supports each other. They have a great time with dances, parties, Superbowls, UFC watching, BarbQ's etc. etc....., anything anyone else does. They just all do it together and they do it sober.

Me, I pretty much just hang out with you guys, ride my mcycle with some friends, play racquetball with leagues and work and be with the fam.

Good for you on dodging the cult bullet tv!

Glad it seems to be working for you tv:cheers: What I know is the focus is on selfish behaviors and cleaning your slate by making amends to people you ran over in a drunken stupor. It is a way of life to be envied imo. Some of the best people I know are drunks recovering but for the grace of God there I be. I have done nothing stronger than aspirin since 1995.

Cool. I know you didn't go the meetings route, TV, and I applaud you and anyone else who has successfully quit, AA or not. My beef is with the black and white nature of AA. As if quitting drinking in and of itself makes your life better. That's just untrue. Finding fulfillment in friends, career, family, hobbies,etc. versus searching for it in a bottle is what makes your life better. Enjoying a few cold ones isn't a bad thing.

Latest posts

Back