Do you work with a bunch of drunks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are stoned, I'll figure it out every time. It is essential to know the person pretty well before that is consistently possible.

Let's face it. You smoke pot to enjoy the effect that it has on you, right? I have never heard of any pot heads going down to the local dealer and asking for some more of "that bud with the delicate aroma" You don't smoke the stuff because of some special satisfaction you might have with the consumption of a premium product, you smoke it to get stoned.

You smoke it because it bombs your brain and makes you happy. To a non-stoner experienced at being around pot-heads, this becomes a pretty easy to spot emotional condition. Ever watch Cheech & Chong? Their performance was a greatly exaggerated parody of stoners, but they still got it right. Probably from experience.
Cheech and chong is a joke right , you really think thats real life , if ya do than I could fool you everytime and anytime , but the truth is who cares right , this thread is about drunks not stoners ..

Cheech and chong is a joke right , you really think thats real life , if ya do than I could fool you everytime and anytime , but the truth is who cares right , this thread is about drunks not stoners ..

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

I think theres a problem and your "A" is a little sticky.

... , this thread is about drunks not stoners ..

So true. Thanks for reminding us.

I had two guys show up partly drunk for work yesterday. One of them told me he needed to sit out until last night went away. The other didn't come in until 10:00am, but he admitted that he had hung one on, and that it had led to major fights with his spouse.

I was obliged to send a different employee home last friday, as he showed up drunk. He blew .104 at 8:00 am. He denied drinking anything or being drunk until I whipped out the detector. Yes. I tested him because I could smell it on him when I walked past him by the time clock. I haven't seen him come back to work since last friday, when he discovered that I could tell when he was drunk. He'll be fired tomorrow for absence.

Yes. In my opinion. drunks are a much bigger problem than stoners.

Some of the places you work in are prime for these types of problems as well, not just tree-service work...Day workers, laborers, the inexperienced and those unqualified for any "organization" are always the heaviest with substance abuse problems...you would think.
In moving around the job market as much as I have, there has been alot of opportunity for meeting people of all walks and in several different fields of employ. These jobs have usually always surprised me when it came to social behaviors, both beneficial self-destructive.
As for my observations of those jobs I have held in the past, I have ranked them highest to lowest in terms of chemical use by the people I worked with:

Factory worker...alcohol and pot
K-12 teacher...alcohol and prescription drugs
Cemetery worker...alcohol, pot and stims...tied with...
...Construction/framing...alcohol, stims and pot
Graduate assistant (in association with professors)...pot and alcohol
Behavioral therapist...alcohol and stolen drugs
Map makers and research assistants...ALCOHOL
Daycare (from teacher to director)...alcohol, some pot
Truck driver...stims of any sort for days, binge drink on breaks
Security...alcohol with pot between tests
Restaurant worker (regardless of type)...alcohol/pot tie
Athletic training...alcohol, prescription drugs
Tree service...alcohol tied with pot
Painter...alcohol

That's the short of it. And only a small bit of the market...
Want to extrapolate?
Chemical use has been a part of humanity since man learned to put things in his mouth. Before that evolutionary leap however, we have all sorts of animals in the world that use various chemicals to alter their moods...look it up.
Responsibility is the key.
We have all done, and will continue to do things beyond our strengths...
...but hopefully we recognize these times through attention to such things and realize, regardless of what, where, when and why...

..."a man's got to know his limitations."

So true. Thanks for reminding us.

I had two guys show up partly drunk for work yesterday. One of them told me he needed to sit out until last night went away. The other didn't come in until 10:00am, but he admitted that he had hung one on, and that it had led to major fights with his spouse.

I was obliged to send a different employee home last friday, as he showed up drunk. He blew .104 at 8:00 am. He denied drinking anything or being drunk until I whipped out the detector. Yes. I tested him because I could smell it on him when I walked past him by the time clock. I haven't seen him come back to work since last friday, when he discovered that I could tell when he was drunk. He'll be fired tomorrow for absence.

Yes. In my opinion. drunks are a much bigger problem than stoners.

A guy coming to work with a hangover is a guy whos gonna have a tough day as far as I am concerned ,and if they no show on me they take the next day off too, you wanna party fine let me know the day before or at least that night , I know that young guys need that break so whatever but no call no show really :censored: me off , its all about communication with me..

A guy coming to work with a hangover is a guy whos gonna have a tough day as far as I am concerned ,and if they no show on me they take the next day off too, you wanna party fine let me know the day before or at least that night , I know that young guys need that break so whatever but no call no show really :censored: me off , its all about communication with me..

Can't argue with that...

Can't argue with that...

I'm fair, just let me know thats all , alot of our work is sold per MAN hour and if I promise a HO three guys and two show up than I look like a idiot , at least given some time I can make up an excuse an let them know the day before and if they wanna reschedule than thats there choice ..

Here is a really entertaining update from last night:

Last Friday's drunk employee showed up for his final paycheck today... too drunk to make it during business hours, he was pounding on my shop door trying to get me to open up and give him his check when I wasn't even there! He was too inebriated to figure out that I was still out working.

Enter drunk ex-employee #2, currently living across the street from my shop: trying to be protective of my property, he proceeded to enter into conversations with drunk ex-employee #1. A fight ensued shortly thereafter, no doubt related to the fact that one was black, and the other was white. Then they both kept calling me on the telephone, each of them was too drunk to understand, or able to follow simple instructions.

I told (white) ex-employee #2 to call the police and report (black) ex-employee #1, figuring that they could sort out the problem before I got back to the shop. By the time I got there, nobody was very anxious to get in a fight anymore.

I hate talking to drunks!

BTW: #2 is a pretty peaceful fellow, and #1 is well known to be an angry drunk. I presumed that #1 initiated the attack, which was confirmed by the wife of another employee who was waiting for me to come back to the shop also. I suspect that #2 instigated the fight by making unwelcome references to the good-natured people of Nigeria.

Last edited:

Last Friday's drunk employee showed up for his final paycheck today... too drunk to make it during business hours, he was pounding on my shop door trying to get me to open up and give him his check when I wasn't even there! He was too inebriated to figure out that I was still out working.

Enter drunk ex-employee #2, currently living across the street from my shop: trying to be protective of my property, he proceeded to enter into conversations with drunk ex-employee #1. A fight ensued shortly thereafter, no doubt related to the fact that one was black, and the other was white. Then they both kept calling me on the telephone, each of them was too drunk to understand, or able to follow simple instructions.

I told (white) ex-employee #2 to call the police and report (black) ex-employee #1, figuring that they could sort out the problem before I got back to the shop. By the time I got there, nobody was very anxious to get in a fight anymore.

Too much drama fer me lol:cheers:

No offense but it sounds like you hiring :censored:holes plain and simple , go out and look for a few guys who are worth some good money , sounds like to me $11 hr. guys are not the answer for you to save a buck...

No call, no show is annoying, it makes me feel like I'm guilty of something when I have to call the customer with some lie and reschedule. Its sort of hard to tell the customer that your help is a bunch of losers though... not that I haven't. lol.

No call, no show is annoying, it makes me feel like I'm guilty of something when I have to call the customer with some lie and reschedule. Its sort of hard to tell the customer that your help is a bunch of losers though... not that I haven't. lol.

Your right thats the kinda of :censored: that makes the HO never call ya again , even if you go there and wow them , they want clean and simple easy contractors and especially now they are so money picky that if you do get some good work you better come at it correct .

No offense but it sounds like you hiring :censored:holes plain and simple , go out and look for a few guys who are worth some good money , sounds like to me $11 hr. guys are not the answer for you to save a buck...

They were both pretty good fellows, and both were hard working, too. Things change quickly as soon as they start drinking, though.

Neither of them was drunk when I interviewed them for work, either.

That's okay. I am getting my message out to the other employees that drinking around me is the wrong way to remain popular.

They were both pretty good fellows, and both were hard working, too. Things change quickly as soon as they start drinking, though.

Neither of them was drunk when I interviewed them for work, either.

That's okay. I am getting my message out to the other employees that drinking around me is the wrong way to remain popular.

It sounds like they were just low on drinking money to me.

Back