dolmar/makita 5105 user experiences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd548esco72

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
anyone out there running the dolmar/makita 5105 50cc saw?

any issues with it -- hard starting? flooding or other weirdness??

anyone run this saw hard? stock of MMs are ok--

thanks--

I've got one, had one issue with hard starting recently. Felt like a compression issue. Replaced the plug and has not happened since though not running it much right now.

Yes I had problems cold starting it.
My other saws, choke till it pops, not this one. If you do that it will flood. Choke once if not start one more choke then shut choke off and start good.

Sent from Hoskvarna hills

i've had to put up with saws that were '******" about starting back in the day-- and these echos have sort of spoiled me to easy starts--

now i don't mind the starting procedure being a bit different --as long as the procedure starts the saw with undue -fussyness--

Great saw, but I have not been able to cold start mine without flooding it. Thanks for the advise!!

Yes I had problems cold starting it.
My other saws, choke till it pops, not this one. If you do that it will flood. Choke once if not start one more choke then shut choke off and start good.

Sent from Hoskvarna hills

i'm deciding what to bid--- its a new one--

my problem is CAD-- i want a 5105, 6421, echo 490 and a 620p-- on top of all the saws i got--lol

well looks like i missed out by a c-note--

think i'll try again on a 64xx or maybe a echo---

Great saw, but I have not been able to cold start mine without flooding it. Thanks for the advise!!
flip choke on then right back off, pull a couple times. if it dont start, then choke it but dont leave the choke on for more than 2-3 pulls or it will be flooded.

i started mine all summer/fall and never once used the choke, most times it was running on the second pull.

Mine is a little older must be. No choke position, just run, stop, & Off. Put it in run, slowly pull the starter cord a time or two & it's running. It's fast with good power but uses considerably more fuel than my Husky. The husqvarna is 5 cc smaller and nearly 4k RPM slower.

Mine doesn't have the Easy Start, and no starting issues so far. Just got to pay attention not to flood it by leaving the choke on for more than a pull or two.

easy starting saw with good power, very smooth in the cut. I run mine with 3/8 yellow label stihl chain and man does it rip. Love that saw now i want a 7910 :)

I have the easy start 5105 and stock other than muff cat delete. As I said I don't use it much but when I do it starts easily cold and hot. It has 3/8 rs chain and when cutting cuts and feels like it's more than a 50cc saw.

So is the time saved worth the extra fuel burned?
This is my first season with the Dolmar. I've been felling with the Dolmar, and as I'm sure you understand, getting two any trees on the ground is never the same. The lack of snow this year means trees have picked up dirt and mud by the time they get to the landing. The Husky has a semi chisel and the Dolamr is full chisel giving the husky the nod for bucking up the wood on the landing. For those reasons I can't make an accurate comparison.

Latest posts

Back