Drying time for Cherry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Due to a "supply problem" this Summer, I just split and stacked Cherry for my first and oldest customer this Fall. It's in the best possible drying spot that I have, and I'm hoping for the best. I've used and sold Cherry before many times, but I've NEVER pushed it this late in the drying season. What are your thoughts on Cherry as far as drying time goes? I know that it's not loaded with water like Oak and others; I'm hoping that it'll be dry in a few months-if not, I'm not selling it. Thanks for any input! :confused:

I have cut a lightning hit cherry tree, split it and used it about5-6 months. It was fine. You may be ok, but I have never burned anything that hasn't been dry at least 6-8 months. I try to get a full year on most woods, and some take 1 1/2-2 years to fully season.

-Steve

I'd say if you have it in a good drying spot and cover it when the weather turns that it will be fit by the first of the year. I have burned much fall cut Cherry later on in the heating season, best smelling smoke to ever come from a chimney.

How's the Pump?

Hey PA,

Hows the pump working for you? I finally finished splitting and stacking my wood up here.

Millman

Back